• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In a bit of a dilemma ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a bit of a dilemma ...

Hi,

I've signed a contract to work on 3 months project for a startup company and am due to start in a week's time.

But on Friday, I got a better offer and a longer contract with another company. It's a big brand name and would obviously look good for my CV.

So my question is there anyway I could get out of the first contract as I haven't started yet and what are my liabilities. And if anyone has any good advice/experience in this type of scenario?

chrno

I had the opportunity to be involved in a business startup and although it only lasted about 14 months, I would do it again for the experience. Although I was only paid £14k in that time, I was also entitled to 30% of the company if it had been sold off.

If you are going into it just as an employee, then the risk is huge that you won't get paid when there are cash flow issues. If the business fails - and most do - you will probably find yourself wondering why you volunteered to work for no pay for 3 months.

You could just say you have reconsidered and that the risk is too high.

But better yet would be to find a replacement for them and then tell them.

Even better, is to put that replacement in through your books and take 15% just like an agency would!

Even better again is to do both contracts: 4 days a week on the well-paying gig and 3 days a week on the startup. Then you can see which way the wind is blowing on the startup. Assuming you are young and fit enough for that much hard work.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Richard's option of doing both positions is the only one to consider. THey have hired you, not someone else to work through your company, and quite likely they will tell you to f'off if you offer them that.

Ethics, morals and integrity. You've signed on the dotted line so get yourself in there.

I'm sure many of us have made sacrifices. One of mine was having to accept a 3 month contract on £350 a day and pay hotel costs, when I could have had £450 a day and commute from home for 6 months. I did the contract with a smile, because they were the first to put the contract on the table and I made the decision to accept it rather than wait for hopefully the second offer to come through, which it did. Agency 2 told me not to sign first contract, just verbally accept and then turn it down if their offer came through but to me that was unfair.

Doing the wrong thing is what can give us contractors a bad name. I like to respect like I like to be respected, just like you would be on here fuming if you signed a contract and the client told you a day before you were due to start that they were withdrawing the offer.

But if you do withdraw, espect to cover the agents loss of earnings, which IMO would be fair play.

Comment

Originally posted by chrno View Post
        Hi,

I've signed a contract to work on 3 months project for a startup company and am due to start in a week's time.

But on Friday, I got a better offer and a longer contract with another company. It's a big brand name and would obviously look good for my CV.

So my question is there anyway I could get out of the first contract as I haven't started yet and what are my liabilities. And if anyone has any good advice/experience in this type of scenario?

chrno

It's the luck of the draw albeit nice to have 2 offers on the table. If you have signed for the initial contract, then really you should see it through. It is only for 3 months anyway so you will be in and done before you know it...and can then again look for the bigger bucks and longer time period.

Comment

Originally posted by chrno View Post
          Hi,

chrno

Yes. Learn how to act professionally and run your affairs in a business like manner.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Bit of a downer to be in that situation, but at the end of the day... you signed a contract and have a gig.

go with the first one, explain why to the 2nd folks who offered, and perhaps they'll still want you in 3 months time.

Comment

Working...
            X