• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changing route! HELP plz

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing route! HELP plz

ok, I have been out of work for 5 months and this morning had a look on jobserve and monitored the situation and was in total shock. From 8.30 A.M to 9.30 AM at least 20 jobs where listed on jobserve for programming/developing roles that require C++, Java, c#, SQL, .Net etc vs 5 jobs! for tech support.

Can someone please advise me on a course from Microsoft or somewhere that will teach me c++ and VB and SQL and .NET all in one if a course does exist.

I may not a programmer / developer role as I dont have commercial experience but better then looking down a tunnel with no light and no jobs what so ever.

Any suggestions will be great guys!! i have been on the bench for 5 months or so and at this rate I am going to have to go back serving pints.

ps: I have 6 years experience in tech support 4 of which in Finance that might help

Originally posted by Joeuker View Post
    <snip>

ps: I have 6 years experience in tech support 4 of which in Finance that might help
    There's a job for you in India if you want it.

That's where all our bank's jobs are headed.

Comment

From 8.30 A.M to 9.30 AM at least 20 jobs where listed on jobserve for programming/developing roles that require C++, Java, c#, SQL, .Net etc vs 5 jobs! for tech support.
      Yes, but most of them are probably fake.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Can someone please advise me on a course from Microsoft or somewhere that will teach me c++ and VB and SQL and .NET all in one if a course does exist.
        Not being negative but even if you do find such a course don't expect to walk into a contract on the back of it.

Comment

In leaner times, you may be able to do that and blag your way into a role, and I really hate that about IT.

Comment

What kind of "tech support"?

Comment

ok, I have been out of work for 5 months and this morning had a look on jobserve and monitored the situation and was in total shock. From 8.30 A.M to 9.30 AM at least 20 jobs where listed on jobserve for programming/developing roles that require C++, Java, c#, SQL, .Net etc vs 5 jobs! for tech support.

I may not a programmer / developer role as I dont have commercial experience but better then looking down a tunnel with no light and no jobs what so ever.

Any suggestions will be great guys!! i have been on the bench for 5 months or so and at this rate I am going to have to go back serving pints.

I'm seeing the same, I don't know when they decided you need .Net and Java skills to configure VPN and unlock passwords but there you go.

It seems 3rd line with extensive scripting skills is now 'essential'.
              Last edited by gingerjedi; 16 February 2010, 13:33.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

If you want a book published by Microsoft, Code Complete by Steve McConnell might be a good place to start for a bit of a software development overview. You can look at specific languages and technologies later.

Comment

assuming this isn't a windup, and i'm fairly sure it is:
                  • there's no point learning VB now really, if you mean VB6 or older. very few jobs, redundant technology, lots of people that can do it.
                  • you're not going to pick up enough C++ on a course to be useful in a non-junior job, without a solid grounding in development
                  • the same sentiment, but for .net.

development isn't just something you can pick up in a single course. that's not to say you can't retrain, but you'd need to first of all get a grounding through personal study, then take a junior position at a company that's willing to train you up. it is a complex discipline and will take many years of graft to be sufficiently experienced to compete in the current market (for a decent wage), IMO. even then, you'll never be able to stop learning if you want to remain competitive.

there are exceptions to this rule - people with a disposition for programming who can pick things up very easily and hit the ground running - but that would not be common at all. nearly everyone i know who makes a living coding spend years in rubbish jobs paying their dues.

(my background: long term interest in development, studied computer science at a good uni, 4 years perm, 3 years contracting, and the last 1.5 years at my own company - all doing development work in some capacity).
                  Last edited by jim2406; 16 February 2010, 17:55.

Comment

If you really want to chance your luck on .net, then C# is way more sought after than vb.net.

Top insider tip: There aren't many people with years of MVC, Entity Framework, Data Services etc on their CV as they haven't officially been out for that long! So pile into those and you'll have as much experience as anyone else.

So look for what may be in demand in the near future rather than what has been done to death in the past and now has an army of developers behind it.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X