• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain will be first country to monitor every car journey

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britain will be first country to monitor every car journey

This is the sort of thing that usually gets people here excited. From The Independent

Britain is to become the first country in the world where the movements of all vehicles on the roads are recorded. A new national surveillance system will hold the records for at least two years.

Using a network of cameras that can automatically read every passing number plate, the plan is to build a huge database of vehicle movements so that the police and security services can analyse any journey a driver has made over several years.

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider
    This is the sort of thing that usually gets people here excited. From The Independent
    I expect tachographs in company cars too. As a first step.

Comment

the only thing is that the project will be given to EDS and hence will not work. So I think we can sleep soundly.
      Failing that (unlikely though), how long will it be before backstreet garages offer a blackbox disabling operation for a tenner or so... can't be that hard
      Chico, what time is it?

Comment

>how long will it be before backstreet garages offer a blackbox disabling operation for a tenner

Waste of time if they're using cameras.

>the project will be given to EDS and hence will not work

On the subject of which, have EDS ever delivered a successful govt IT project? (Serious question) We know about the failures (CSA, Tax credits, National Insurance etc) but surely they must have got at least one right in order to have had a chance with all the others. Any govt with a brain cell would have told them to bugge...Oh. I've just answered my own question, haven't I?
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I think it is a good idea. If you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear.

It's not as if the police will be browsing through everyone's journey records, just those they want to eliminate from their enquiries.

Same with the taxman. He won't be interested in tracking your whereabouts unless you are moonlighting or claiming expenses for visits to the pub.

And private enquiries. When they become available, no agency is going to pay the fee unless your wife has a pretty strong suspicion you are visiting prostitutes, or your employer thinks you are visiting the gym while you are off sick with a bad back.

This will be a robust system with all the usual security features to ensure that it is not misused.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
            I think it is a good idea. If you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear.

It's not as if the police will be browsing through everyone's journey records, just those they want to eliminate from their enquiries.

Same with the taxman. He won't be interested in tracking your whereabouts unless you are moonlighting or claiming expenses for visits to the pub.

And private enquiries. When they become available, no agency is going to pay the fee unless your wife has a pretty strong suspicion you are visiting prostitutes, or your employer thinks you are visiting the gym while you are off sick with a bad back.

This will be a robust system with all the usual security features to ensure that it is not misused.

I detect a note of irony there
            Last edited by monkeyboy; 22 December 2005, 13:56. Reason: cause I can't speel

Comment

>This will be a robust system with all the usual security features to ensure that it is not misused

Just like everything else NewLie inflict upon us then. Nice use of ironic cynicism there W100 btw.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by monkeyboy
                I detect a note of irony there
                But there will be no irony when the Home Secretary says exactly the same things in the near future.

Comment

How did the Jug-eared one learn to keep a straight face while telling giant fibs? Same place as Dodgy Agents perchance?

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
                    How did the Jug-eared one learn to keep a straight face while telling giant fibs? Same place as Dodgy Agents perchance?
                    I taught him everything (for a fee of course)
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X