• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK house prices 'to slump as credit crunch returns'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK house prices 'to slump as credit crunch returns'

A second mortgage credit crunch that will send UK house prices into a new tailspin is looming, economists and credit experts have warned.

The squeeze on debt will begin to be felt in January next year, when lenders are due to start repaying £319bn borrowed from the Government during the original crisis in 2007 and 2008 – a quarter of the UK's entire £1.3 trillion stock of mortgages.

To pay the money back, credit-rating agency Moody's said, banks and building societies may "limit their lending through tighter credit criteria" – in other words reducing availability and making mortgages more expensive.

Capital Economics added: "The prospect of a fresh mortgage credit squeeze later this year or during 2011 hardly inspires confidence in the durability of the housing market recovery."

Credit is already tight. In 2009, societies removed £7.4bn from the mortgage market and approvals dropped to 1.3m, compared with 3.4m annually from 2005 to 2007.

Lobby groups have called on the authorities to delay the timetable but, last week, Mervyn King, Bank of England Governor, confirmed that the main state-backed liquidity scheme, providing £185bn of funding, would end in January 2011 as scheduled. The full £319bn must be repaid by April 2014.

Echoing a warning from the Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML) that removing Government support will choke off lending and raise mortgage costs, Moody's said yesterday: "If debt markets cannot take up some of the funding gap left by Government schemes, the impact on the UK mortgage market will be significant ... The contraction will put pressure on house prices."

The £319bn "funding gap" is the difference between the amount the banks hold in retail deposits and the sum they have lent. The gap used to be financed in the wholesale markets, which froze in August 2007. (AtW's comment: that's 2.5 years now, how long can they print money to keep property bubble inflated?) They have been replaced with emergency state schemes.

Illustrating the scale of the crisis, CML data shows that UK lenders raised £130bn in the markets in the 12 months before the crunch but just £11.5bn in the past two years.

Moody's added that the benign environment of low interest rates and "other Government stimulus [which] have helped borrowers" may just have been "transitory".

Rising bad debts would be particularly severe for building societies, which lost £7.6bn of deposits last year. Their credit ratings have also been slashed, effectively barring all but Nationwide, the largest society, from using the wholesale markets.

"Building societies have been the main victims," Moody's said. "Without access to cheaper Government-backed funding, many will find it increasingly difficult to survive."

Societies are in discussions with the Financial Services Authority about creating a new debt instrument to shore up their balance sheets (AtW's comment: oh FFS - shoring up balance sheets should involve disposals of liquid assets and not taking on toxic tulip on balance sheets int he first place, ffs - not creating new bloody debt instruments!). Called mutual ordinary deferred shares (MODS), the debt will not mature and will pay an annual coupon that can be axed to preserve capital in extreme circumstances.

The FSA has not yet approved the instruments.

Source: CyberToryGraph

--------

There are just 3 scenarios to current situation that got frozen in time thanks to low BoE rates:

1) hyper inflation to screw up everyone
    2) realistic drop in overpriced houses - 50%+
    3) something in between

#3 clearly isn't working out - such imbalances can't be balanced out nicely, aka "soft landing" that nobody ever seen.

Commercial property values have already dropped big time, supporting consumer house bubble sure saves votes but it keeps the economy still out of balance.

It cracks me up how some people think that asset deflation is somehow good even if you don't "own" that asset.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      It cracks me up how some people think that asset deflation is somehow good even if you don't "own" that asset.
      That's my move Dim. Keep an eye on yer login name.

btw, you are not charging VAT on your CUK invoice, is that legal?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        There are just 3 scenarios to current situation that got frozen in time thanks to low BoE rates:

1) hyper inflation to screw up everyone
        Not everyone, if you had a mountain of debt you'd be saying 'bring it on'.

Bring it on.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          Not everyone, if you had a mountain of debt you'd be saying 'bring it on'.
          So you think those people whose debts get wiped out would enjoy debt free live paying £10 per liter of fuel and £5 for pint of milk?

One thing with inflation is that once it is out it is very hard to bring it under control - investment plans will collapse, projects won't be finished as nobody build in such inflation into contracts, lots of people (without debt!!!) will be out of the jobs, what good would that do?

Comment

AtW, I'm curious. Where did you get your knowledge of balance sheet structures from?
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              So you think those people whose debts get wiped out would enjoy debt free live paying £10 per liter of fuel and £5 for pint of milk?

One thing with inflation is that once it is out it is very hard to bring it under control - investment plans will collapse, projects won't be finished as nobody build in such inflation into contracts, lots of people (without debt!!!) will be out of the jobs, what good would that do?
              Interest rates have to go up. This is how the BoE 'removes' the QE money from economy. So the cost of living goes up. So does unemployment. If the cost of living goes up, so benfits have to. So then the taxes go up.

So us hardworking chaps and chapesses can look forward to :

Our homes being worth A LOT less
              Vat hike
              Income tax hike
              NI Hike

and lots and lots of lurvely inflation.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                AtW, I'm curious. Where did you get your knowledge of balance sheet structures from?
                erm wikipedia

damn wrong login
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Where did you get your knowledge of balance sheet structures from?
                  I briefly worked for a bank in late 90s.

Comment

The Soviet Union
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X