• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

German Rant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Rant

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8519246.stm

"Mr Aschenbrenner had come to the conclusion there was just too much English on the German railways.

"At the railway station, a woman in front of me was unable to operate the ticket machine because the word Cancel was on the display. She pronounced it in the German way tsan-tsel and she asked me 'what is tsan-tsel'?

"And I got a little bit angry why Deutsche Bahn doesn't use German expressions for this."

Franz Aschenbrenner believes the phrase Service Point is too confusing, the expression Kiss and Ride too idiotic. So he wrote to his local member of parliament.
    "
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

"Mr Aschenbrenner had come to the conclusion there was just too much English on the German railways.

"At the railway station, a woman in front of me was unable to operate the ticket machine because the word Cancel was on the display. She pronounced it in the German way tsan-tsel and she asked me 'what is tsan-tsel'?

"And I got a little bit angry why Deutsche Bahn doesn't use German expressions for this."

Franz Aschenbrenner believes the phrase Service Point is too confusing, the expression Kiss and Ride too idiotic. So he wrote to his local member of parliament.
    "
    I do feel a bit sorry for the ones who can't press the little german flag button to get it back into their own language.

I like the idea of Kiss and Ride. Sounds like the perfect way to pass a long train journey.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

He'd love living round here - many signs don't even use the same characters as German or English.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

tsan-tsel would be spelled zanzel, not cancel.

But what was wrong with "abbrechen"? That's what I get on the popups in my German version of XP.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

That's the germans for you. Why use 8 letters for a word when you could use 30. Spelling tests must be a nightmare for German kids and ContractorDE must simply be full of spell check police!
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

"
            I may only have reached improvers level German, but isn't that rant in English?
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I think we should leave the organisation and running of all european railways to the Germans. Say what you like about them but they have an impressive track record for transporting people from all across europe on the trains without losing too many.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

experience of munich - cologne direct, 4.5hr journey, friday afternoon/evenings

1st attempt - half the train didnt arrive in munich so I had to stand all the way as reservation was in non-arriving part
                2nd attempt - arrived 1hr 20 late
                3rd attempt - no issues
                4th attempt - arrived 40 mins late

I prefer Germanwings
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  I may only have reached improvers level German, but isn't that rant in English?
                  Is that a new PC term for 'crap but turns up to lessons'?
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post

I prefer Germanwings
                    Is it that time of month?
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X