• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to take the plunge?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to take the plunge?

Greetings to all,

Currently eyeing up a return to contracting after a few years in permie land taking my skills up a notch.

It strikes me that this quarter could be a good place to start, as the market reports I've seen, and looking on the job boards (yes I know they're all fake) paints a reasonable picture.

I am currently on 2 months notice, so I guess I have to pack this job in and go for it to improve my availability.

Also, anyone here working outside IR35 in city based senior developer / technical or development manager roles? There is so much (mis)information about this floating around, I would love to hear from some real contractors.

Comments greatly appreciated.

All the best,

JD

Me. What you want to know?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesd256 View Post
      Time to take the plunge?
      Not yet tbh

as the market reports I've seen, and looking on the job boards (yes I know they're all fake) paints a reasonable picture.
      Think you are misreading the market reports, yes thinks are up, from "crap the world is ending" to "just crap". Should continue to keep getting better from now on but there is huge back log of benched (read desperate, willing to work for peanuts) contractors to clear first. Unless you have skills with large demand I would not recommend anyone moving from permie to contract until at least last quarter of this year (if things continue to impove)

I am currently on 2 months notice, so I guess I have to pack this job in and go for it to improve my availability.
      Yes you would

Also, anyone here working outside IR35 in city based senior developer / technical or development manager roles?
      Vast majority of contractors class themselves outside IR35 (does not mean hector would agree if audited), even in the good times being inside IR35 makes it barely worthwhile, in current market of low rates you would be worse off financially by a decent margin than a permie in most cases if inside IR35

Though at end of the day really comes down to knowing your own market, monitor jobserve for a few weeks, if barely a day goes by without you seeing 3 to 4 new suitable (skills/experience/location/rate) contract offers (and make sure they are not same role offered by different agencies) then you can seriously consider it. Less than that and I would hold off

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
        Not yet tbh
        OK, thanks for taking the time to share this, I guess this is the place where you will get the most impartial, specific advice.

To the previous respondent, all my questions are now answered, thank you both.

All the best,

JD

Comment

Greetings to all,

Currently eyeing up a return to contracting after a few years in permie land taking my skills up a notch.

It strikes me that this quarter could be a good place to start, as the market reports I've seen, and looking on the job boards (yes I know they're all fake) paints a reasonable picture.

Also, anyone here working outside IR35 in city based senior developer / technical or development manager roles? There is so much (mis)information about this floating around, I would love to hear from some real contractors.

Comments greatly appreciated.

All the best,

JD
          Do what I did:

1) Apply for contracts stating you are available immediatley
          2) Once you get a gig ask your company if you can leave on short notice
          3) They probably wont so see if the contract can wait and if your permie company are willing to negotiate it down

doing 1) has the following advantages:
          - Helps you get a feel for what rates are out there
          - Sees how in demand you are
          - If you get several offers in the space of 1 month then you know you will find one soon after quitting permie

I am new to contracting but fast learning about the benefits of contracting as well as the difficulties of it. My last permie job was 8-4 or 9:30 - 5:30 with a 10 min commute each way. My current gig is 9-6 with an hour commute each way. Rate is as low as it could be for a SQL developer. I am taking a risk in the hope that things pick up in a few months time so I can get something closer to home and a much better rate.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
            Do what I did:

1) Apply for contracts stating you are available immediatley
            2) Once you get a gig ask your company if you can leave on short notice
            3) They probably wont so see if the contract can wait and if your permie company are willing to negotiate it down

doing 1) has the following advantages:
            - Helps you get a feel for what rates are out there
            - Sees how in demand you are
            - If you get several offers in the space of 1 month then you know you will find one soon after quitting permie

I am new to contracting but fast learning about the benefits of contracting as well as the difficulties of it. My last permie job was 8-4 or 9:30 - 5:30 with a 10 min commute each way. My current gig is 9-6 with an hour commute each way. Rate is as low as it could be for a SQL developer. I am taking a risk in the hope that things pick up in a few months time so I can get something closer to home and a much better rate.
            Hmm, food for thought, thanks.

I'm glad to hear that has worked for you. I think I will go in with a clean slate, for a couple of reasons;

I like my current employers, as the have been good to me, and want to see the notice out to help them achieve continuity - I might want their help later.

My previous experience with agents from prior contracting tells me it's better to make sure I am really available before taking up their time. I want to gain their trust, because I want to be seen as someone they can place again later.

Don't get me wrong, this is nothing moral, just what I would claim to be enlightened self interest. Anyway I'm not in a rush, and my wife has just received some cash from her job which she says we can use as insurance while I transition.

Good luck finding that ideal contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
              Me. What you want to know?
              Actually, I do have a couple of questions.

Do you feel your working practices and upper and lower contracts would hold up to Hector's prying eyes and grasping hands, or are you just hoping to avoid investigation?

Did you take out tax insurance? If so, does yours cover litigation costs, or does it actually cover any final liability?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X