• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Powerchex Application

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powerchex Application

I have been asked to go through an additional screening application for the contract I have been offered. It's called Powerchex, it's been mentioned on here a couple of times.

It requires you to put for the last 6 years. Every job, contract, agent and role. It asks for each address, it asks for all of your education all the way back to school. Then passport number (the ridiculous long one), driving license, date of birth, maiden names, all of your ltd companies and business interests. Then copy of said passport/bills and thats before you even have to fll in a criminal check questionairre.

Been sent as a tulipty piece of paper and please fax back!

Not happy about this at all. Has anyone completed one of these and is it nothing to worry about? Not happy giving out all of this info.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

You'll be ok as long as you haven't punched any previous managers.
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Basically, anyone asking for all that for a contract can fook off.

Comment

Do you really want to work for a client that is so paranoid?

What are they afraid of and are there that many of them that could cause so much damage that the expense of this sort of thing can have a valid business justification?
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          I have had the same - a 19 page pdf that I have to print, fill in, scan and then email back. It looks like these companies have sold a service to HR managers and now provide all this bumpf to justify their fees. HR are happy as they can be shown to have done due diligence without having to lift a finger and actually do what they are paid for. They are just another parasite on the rump of contracting. Unfortunately, if you want the contract, you have to play along.

In this climate, I'd rather fill in the form and start invoicing rather than tell them to fook off.

Comment

What safeguards are there to ensure all this info isn't going to be used to clone your identity?

I'd be wary of trusting any company with so much info. You don't know how good their internal security is or if they outsource it to india or some other dodgy place.

Next thing you know you could be getting a knock on the door asking about your trip to Dubai.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              I have been asked to go through an additional screening application for the contract I have been offered. It's called Powerchex, it's been mentioned on here a couple of times.

It requires you to put for the last 6 years. Every job, contract, agent and role. It asks for each address, it asks for all of your education all the way back to school. Then passport number (the ridiculous long one), driving license, date of birth, maiden names, all of your ltd companies and business interests. Then copy of said passport/bills and thats before you even have to fll in a criminal check questionairre.

Not happy about this at all. Has anyone completed one of these and is it nothing to worry about? Not happy giving out all of this info.
              Sounds like they are treating you like one of the permies.

Tell you wont fill it in and possibly see them retract the job offer.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Comment

and i'd be inclined for the F off option too, what part of this return is of an interest or relevance to a Ltd company providing services to a client, i'd be asking would/do they perform these checks for any large consultancy/major service provider they have on site, hmmmmm let me think for a nano second!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

This sort of thing is quite common in Financial Services because of FSA regulation. Actually working for the FSA involves a similar level of vetting.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X