• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rates. Are they higher than a decade ago!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rates. Are they higher than a decade ago!

http://old.jobstats.co.uk/jobstats.d...00203.1243.png

No they are bloody not! Whats interesting is, I've been in Perm for a few years, decided to go back into a contract and I'm still getting the same rate as I was getting a decade ago.

So in real terms! Contractors are signficantly worse off then their whinging permie peers!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    http://old.jobstats.co.uk/jobstats.d...00203.1243.png

No they are bloody not! Whats interesting is, I've been in Perm for a few years, decided to go back into a contract and I'm still getting the same rate as I was getting a decade ago.

So in real terms! Contractors are signficantly worse off then their whinging permie peers!
    Are they fk, I'm getting £130pd less than I was getting a decade ago, but you accept what you have to in order to pay the bills in this environment.

Comment

It's deflating.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Plasma TVs are also a lot cheaper. Say how much was 46'' plasma 10 years ago and how much is it now?

You know it makes sense.

Comment

Yeah I guess it kind of does. A lot more people are able to deliver technology these days and things are getting a lot easier e.g. .NET 4.0, SSAS, SSIS, TFS, Visual Studio etc. We are just another cog in the machine and we are becoming worth less.

Comment

When I first went contracting in 97, my rate was 200 a day. I think I'd need to be getting around 500 a day now to put my rate and buying power at 1997 levels.

All the jobs I see advertised seem to offer anything from 180 a day to 350 a day (and I know clients arent taking you on at 350 right now).
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              I think I'd need to be getting around 500 a day now to put my rate and buying power at 1997 levels.
              Either that or just reduce your tax paid to 3.5% using offshore schemes. Innit?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Plasma TVs are also a lot cheaper. Say how much was 46'' plasma 10 years ago and how much is it now?

You know it makes sense.
                46"??? are you benched or something
                needs to be at least 60"
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-60PS7000-...6448943&sr=8-1
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  46"??? are you benched or something
                  needs to be at least 60"
                  http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-60PS7000-...6448943&sr=8-1
                  It depends on a size of room innit?

I was checking local houses and ffs - they are so small even for ridiculous money

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

You know it makes sense.
                    10 years ago they only had the 42" plasma. Eeee, them were the days...

Comment

Working...
                    X