• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The economy in a safe pair of hands

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The economy in a safe pair of hands

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8521587.stm

The state of the UK's public finances deteriorated further in January, according to official figures.

The Office for National Statistics said the government borrowed a further £4.3bn last month - much more than expected.

Analysts had expected the government to repay about £2.8bn of its debts, but tax income for the month was lower than forecast.

Government spending also rose sharply, the ONS said.

The figures mark the first January that the government has been forced to borrow money since records began in 1993.

Scorched earth policy.

The word "unexpected" crops up a lot these days, as does "new record".

Comment

It is difficult to believe, isn't it. How sh*t this government is at financial management.

Imagine running your personal finances like that, always spending more than you earn. Oh I forgot, lots of people are.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Scorched earth policy.
        ain't that the truth. looks pretty grim to me...
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          It is difficult to believe, isn't it. How sh*t this government is at financial management.
          And not just once to prove how bad they are, but twice.

Cracking.
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I'm shocked, shocked to find such financial incompetence in the UK.

What is really depressing is that all this gets from the media and the public is "Oh well. Times are tough"
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8521587.stm

The state of the UK's public finances deteriorated further in January, according to official figures.

The Office for National Statistics said the government borrowed a further £4.3bn last month - much more than expected.

Analysts had expected the government to repay about £2.8bn of its debts, but tax income for the month was lower than forecast.

Government spending also rose sharply, the ONS said.

The figures mark the first January that the government has been forced to borrow money since records began in 1993.

Scorched earth policy.
              They must have borrowed shed loads to artificially nudge the GDP into a 0.0001 % improvement, or whatever the figure was, a month ago as Gordon promised three months ago it would.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

We have a large structural deficit (as opposed to the bank bailout money).

There are still very few people who understand just how serious this problem is.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  They must have borrowed shed loads to artificially nudge the GDP into a 0.0001 % improvement, or whatever the figure was, a month ago as Gordon promised three months ago it would.
                  I know from experience, you can prove anything with stats. "I want growth". "You got it" springs to mind ...

Comment

The yield on Britain’s 10-year gilt just shot up to about 4.2 per cent, according to Reuters data...

Thus it is likely that the QE program will be increased
                    http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2010...ing-in-the-uk/

Comment

Working...
                    X