• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You aren't allowed to make fun of Hitler any more

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You aren't allowed to make fun of Hitler any more

Driver suspended for Nazi salute
    Mr Marsham had gone to a staff fancy dress party as an RAF officer, and later ended up goose stepping and giving Nazi salutes.

In a statement, the hospital said the trust received a number of complaints about alleged racist gestures made by an individual in a working area of the hospital.
    Feck me, some people need to get a life.

ER...forgive me for asking, but how can this be racist ?

The Nazis were not a race, they were a group of people who shared a common ideology, some probably because the alternative was a luger bullet in the back of the head.

Since the Nazi's are universally accepted and reviled as being the "Bad Guys", why is their memory afforded protection in this case ?

I think somone needs to send them a copy of Allo Allo, or the episode of Fawlty Towers (don't mention the war) with John Cleese performing one of the most memorable comedy routines in TV History.

It could be argued that by protecting the sanctity and dignity of Nazi's, by not taking the mickey out of them, the person(s) responsibile for his suspension are guilty of indirect support of the Nazi ideology.

What next ?

Sorry, you can't come to the fancy dress party dressed as Sven the Viking, because that may be offensive to Vikings ?

Sorry, you can't do a stand-up comedy routine wearing a poncho and singing Mexican songs in a silly voice, because you are not Mexican ?

Sorry, you can't breathe because that is offensive to dead people ?
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I was reading a free copy of the Daily Mail on the plane the other week. They're always willing to publish articles written by foreigners who don't mind grovelling to the Brits a bit, and in this issue they had one by a German chap who was responding to the Jeremy Clarkson mickey take of the Nazis on Top Gear. The article rambled on a bit, but he did make one good point which is that the British have always taken the p*ss out of anything and everything and that's why it would be impossible for the Nazis, or any other extremists, to take any sort of power in the UK.

He mentioned Moseley in the 30s and how he was just a big joke to most people in Britain, while Hitler was the great saviour as far as many Germans were concerned.

So, it could be said that it's rather a dangerous policy to ban this sort of joke; the kind of joke that's always saved us from exactly the mess other countries get themselves into.

Comment

very true, dang65 - in fact all this PC crap that's invading our environment is very un-English and I hope that there will be a strong reaction against it.

From what I have seen, places like the US and France are much more PC than the UK (you are not allowed to joke about Jews or show the Nazi uniform in France for example), I hope the UK keeps a sense of resistance to that kind of stuff
        Chico, what time is it?

Comment

I hope the UK keeps a sense of resistance to that kind of stuff

It would be nice if we were just allowed to keep a sense of humour

Comment

Originally posted by John Galt
            I hope the UK keeps a sense of resistance to that kind of stuff

It would be nice if we were just allowed to keep a sense of humour
            You can, but it has to be a New Labour approved state owned sense of humour.

Comment

He mentioned Moseley in the 30s and how he was just a big joke to most people in Britain, while Hitler was the great saviour as far as many Germans were concerned.

So, it could be said that it's rather a dangerous policy to ban this sort of joke; the kind of joke that's always saved us from exactly the mess other countries get themselves into.

Having lived in Germany I recall reading that many Germans laughed when they first saw Hitler as in their eyes he seemed to be a clown,just as people laughed at GW Bush for his seeming bufoonery, I think these politicans can be the most dangerous of all.

And the Germans do have a good sense of humour , at the end of WW2 during December the joke in Berlin was , Be Practical , for presents give a coffin this Christmas.

Our sense of humour hasnt stoppped Tony Blairs efforts in turning the UK into a police state either.

Perhaps its all a killing joke ...

Comment

Working...
              X