• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Simple way to stop runaway house prices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple way to stop runaway house prices

At the moment, your primary residence (and all other properties if you are an MP) is not subject to CGT.

Change the rule, so that CGT is charged after indexation against inflation is taken off.

So if for example, you buy at £500K and after a few years you sell at £1M, and £500K after adding inflation is then worth £700K, you owe CGT on the £300K difference.

This would tend to stop all housing rising above inflation as everyone would be shelling out CGT and so the price rises would tend to follow inflation.

Simples.

1. On demand side of things: min 25% deposit, max of 3 salary multiples loaned with no other debts.

2. On supply side of things: put BoE rates to reflect the economy: 5-7%.

3. On tax side of things: CGT (at old 40% rate) on gains that do not go into new house (ie when moving).

Like that's going to happen.

Comment

Increase supply (relax planning laws, stop NIMBY objections ) and/or reduce demand (cut and reverse immigration).

Even more simples.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        At the moment, your primary residence (and all other properties if you are an MP) is not subject to CGT.

Change the rule, so that CGT is charged after indexation against inflation is taken off.
        IIRC correctly, Luxembourg does this. The difference being that you can defer the CGT if you are buying a new house.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
          Increase supply (relax planning laws, stop NIMBY objections )
          Not quite that simple in the SE - you'd have to increase infrastructure considerably.

Probably to the extent of building another Milton Keynes - and nobody wants that...
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            2. On supply side of things: put BoE rates to reflect the economy: 5-7%.
            HOW THE FRACK is financing costs a supply side measure!
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              Not quite that simple in the SE - you'd have to increase infrastructure considerably.

Probably to the extent of building another Milton Keynes - and nobody wants that...
              Seeing as all the roofs in Milton Keynes are flat, it would be easy and convenient to build a second Milton Keynes on top of the first.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

So if for example, you buy at £500K and after a few years you sell at £1M, and £500K after adding inflation is then worth £700K, you owe CGT on the £300K difference.

This would tend to stop all housing rising above inflation as everyone would be shelling out CGT and so the price rises would tend to follow inflation.

Simples.

I divide the house up into shoe boxes and sell the new apartments Londoners for an extraordinary price first before paying that tax...
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Seeing as all the roofs in Milton Keynes are flat, it would be easy and convenient to build a second Milton Keynes on top of the first.
                  That is a fantastic idea.

MTT for MK Mayor!

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                    HOW THE FRACK is financing costs a supply side measure!
                    Low interest rates now is the primary reason for low supply: people who got overextended and should have lost their houses instead sit on it hoping it will blow over. As the result less supply on the market because people with negative equity won't sell. Got it now?

Comment

Working...
                    X