• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The art of negotiating a fixed fee for sub contracted work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The art of negotiating a fixed fee for sub contracted work

So you have an item of work to do and you contact someone who advertises as a freelancer, you want the job to be fixed fee but the role has an element of visual design work so really pricing could be totally subjective.

You lay out the basics of what the job contains and the first question they ask is "so what is your budget for this"

I do have a budget but i'm buggered if I am telling him and obviously I would like to get him to lay down a price first.

I am unused to dealing with this side of the table and in jobs that are not time and fee.

He's the seller, just tell him to give you a quote
    Asking what your budget is the most obvious trick in the book

The problem with fixed price work though is that scope creep will usually mean having to renegotiate prices further down the line so remember to get a day quote as well so any extra work can be budgeted in.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      You lay out the basics of what the job contains and the first question they ask is "so what is your budget for this"
      Answer = half of your actual budget.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I do have a budget but i'm buggered if I am telling him and obviously I would like to get him to lay down a price first.
        If he's been a freelance creative for a while he will have a rate already. Otherwise you get to set it.

Halve your budget, knock off the last digit and tell him it's a rush job.
        Last edited by doodab; 18 February 2010, 15:52.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          Answer = half of your actual budget.
          I would have to butcher the pig myself then.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            If he's been a freelance creative for a while he will have a rate already. Otherwise you get to set it.
            I'm thinking of telling him that we want to pay upfront for a concept then decide where to take it from there.

Comment

Write a scope detailing exactly what you want, include a set number of design meetings / revisions, get a quote.

Agree a day rate but make sure that it is only claimed for on true variations.

Once you have his quote go back to him & say "thanks I’m just comparing your tender to another, once the comparison is done I’ll call you" if he feels he has over cooked the price he may offer a discount there & then. But get a 2nd quote anyhow.
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

I'm thinking of telling him that we want to pay upfront for a concept then decide where to take it from there.
                Make sure that in your contract / order to him you claim the rights to the concept so that it can be worked upon by A.N. Other
                Growing old is mandatory
                Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                  Write a scope detailing exactly what you want, include a set number of design meetings / revisions, get a quote.

Agree a day rate but make sure that it is only claimed for on true variations.

Once you have his quote go back to him & say "thanks I’m just comparing your tender to another, once the comparison is done I’ll call you" if he feels he has over cooked the price he may offer a discount there & then. But get a 2nd quote anyhow.
                  Put the kettle on love, I'd could murder a cup of tea!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    Put the kettle on love, I'd could murder a cup of tea!
                    Huh ?
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                    X