• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile Broadband

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile Broadband

Why do they call it 'broadband'. I have been trying to use a Vodafone mobile broadband USB dongle in the middle of a city centre and it's giving me speeds of 2 KBPS and sometimes speeds in BPS too. Poor value IMO and worse than dial up modems.

I had thought Vodafone had superior network capability, but clearly this is not the case.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

T-Mobile.

Get well over 3mpbs at the office desk.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
      T-Mobile.

Get well over 3mpbs at the office desk.
      Where ? Does the speed vary when you travel across the country ? I have gotten good speeds in London centre but that is not where I want to use the dongle.
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

The latest PC Pro has a feature called something like "The great mobile broadband scam" all about how poor the service actually is and how only idiots think it's an alternative to a proper wired connection.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I think you have to recognise the limitations and just realise that it's better than nowt

fook I can recall doing stuff @ 1200bps

that was sloooooow
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            I think you have to recognise the limitations and just realise that it's better than nowt

fook I can recall doing stuff @ 1200bps

that was sloooooow
            I've used slower modem - very expensive on long distance calls, good thing it wasn't mine

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
              Where ? Does the speed vary when you travel across the country ? I have gotten good speeds in London centre but that is not where I want to use the dongle.
              Welwyn Garden City

I get a 3G signal most places. Then again I generally use it on industrial parks that are a) covered well and b) not high rise.

Comment

My vodafone connection at client cos has always been comparable with my home broadband.

But then, from developing 3g networks, I know that the bandwidth allocated will it depend on where you use it, and who else is using it. I don't live or work in a city, so less competition for bandwidth from the basestation.

Comment

I'm getting 460Kbps using a tethered mobile after my phone line went dead during a botched attempt to change my BB tariff within the same ISP, I have no idea how they managed to feck that up?

It's not ideal but it does make me wonder why I pay for both BB and a fixed phone line as it's an acceptable speed for browsing and retrieving email.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I am using a USB dongle here in India, same location, IST morning speed much faster than the evening
                    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                    X