• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doing an MBA?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing an MBA?

Has anyone undertaken this mammoth task?

As I will be closing L'Tat shop next year I need something else to focus in on.

Anyone on here undertaken an MBA and got any advice?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Started one once on Open University and then transferred to MSc when the bulltulip became too much to take.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

How about focussing on not getting canned in your next contract?

Comment

MF,

you are like the weather

hey,

what about before getting the MBA, going for getting some marketable IT skills ?

One step at a time eh

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
          MF,

you are like the weather

hey,

what about before getting the MBA, going for getting some marketable IT skills ?

One step at a time eh

Milan.
          Go and change your tapes dear
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I took a year off last year to do an MBA. I really enjoyed it - although it was a hell of a lot of work. If you are interested in doing it because you like learning things and think it might open up other opportunities then go for it. It's unlikely to make much difference in getting future contracts though. Not likely to make much difference to UK permie job applications either.
            Loopy Loo

Comment

Originally posted by lje View Post
              I took a year off last year to do an MBA. I really enjoyed it - although it was a hell of a lot of work. If you are interested in doing it because you like learning things and think it might open up other opportunities then go for it. It's unlikely to make much difference in getting future contracts though. Not likely to make much difference to UK permie job applications either.
              I have been looking into MBAs but cannot see the benefit from a contracting point of view.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                I have been looking into MBAs but cannot see the benefit from a contracting point of view.
                There aren't any! Unless you want to get into interim management of course...

If you're a career contractor then the only reason to do an MBA is because you're interested in it. Of course there is the possibility that it'll give you new contacts and new opportunities. I'm looking at a couple of business opportunities at the moment outside of contracting - I don't know if I would have done that before the MBA.
                Loopy Loo

Comment

Originally posted by lje View Post
                  There aren't any! Unless you want to get into interim management of course...
                  Exactly! I had a friend who was the careers director at cranfield and he was trying to entice me onto the MBA there, I just couldn't see the benefits.

I work in the city and those I know who do have MBAs are career orientated permies and they will gain the benefits and the networking possibilities.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

If you are going to stay in IT and want to further your academic stance, this might be better:

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/researc..._computing.htm

Comment

Working...
                    X