• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Global Warming - Scientific evidence

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Global Warming - Scientific evidence

An update on the "science" of global warming

Temperature data

...apparently one temp station was near an incinerator.
    I'm alright Jack

You are all cretins, these scientists cannot be questioned, they are climate gods, you wouldn't understand see, have I ever told you how intelligent I think I am?

sasguru

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      ..., have I ever told you how intelligent I think I am?.
      I don't know. Tell me - do I think so?
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Joseph D'Aleo, the first director of meteorology and co-founder of the Weather Channel, and Anthony Watts, a meteorologist and founder of SurfaceStations.org, are well-known and well-respected scientists. On Jan. 29, they released a startling study showing that starting in 1990, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) began systematically eliminating climate-measuring stations in cooler locations around the world. Eliminating stations that tended to record cooler temperatures drove up the average measured temperature. The stations eliminated were in higher latitudes and altitudes, inland areas away from the sea and more rural locations. The drop in the number of weather stations was dramatic, declining from more than 6,000 stations to fewer than 1,500.
        I can see that in years to come they will teach AGW in schools - in the classes called 'How NOT to do science'.

It is not a bunch of tin-foil hat, truthers having a go. This is proper evaluation of the method and data that is showing that the whole thing is nonsense.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Weapons Grade Balonium

a proper evaluation of the method and data that is showing that the whole thing is nonsense

Point 1. No it is not. It is a deeply-flawed self-published slice of balony. They claim that 'cooler' weather stations have been systematically removed from the database, resulting in a warm bias. Thus demonstrating that they do not understand that the global temperature indices are compiled from anomalies ie differences from a local baseline so the absolute temperature of any station removed is irrelevant. The Texas State Climatologist explains here http://tinyurl.com/ykfy8aa (scroll down) and concludes "the fundamental premise of the D'Aleo and Watts report is incorrect, and in all likelihood means the exact opposite of what they think it means"

Point 2. A recent paper by Menne et al showed that the temperature trends from the Stations that were deemed 'poorly-sited' were not significantly different from the good ones, and that the mathematical adjustments designed to identify and remove inhomogeneities were working well. http://www.skepticalscience.com/news...4&t=194&&n=123

Point 3. Most of the globe is ocean. The oceans are warming. http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/OC5/3M_HEAT_CONTENT/

Point 4. OK, forget the surface stations, forget the oceans, what do the satellite measurements show? Oh, the warmest January on record. How did that happen? http://www.grist.org/article/hottest...ellite-record/
          My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Global warming is a glimmer of light in an otherwise dark and cold world and we shouldn't diss it out of hand.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              Global warming is an excuse to tax the entire planet.
              FTFY
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Global warming is an excuse to tax the entire planet.
                Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                FTFY
                WHS
                Do what thou wilt

Comment

Point 4. OK, forget the surface stations, forget the oceans, what do the satellite measurements show? Oh, the warmest January on record. How did that happen? http://www.grist.org/article/hottest...ellite-record/
                  Oh the beauty of statistics.

What they don't tell you is you get a spike from El Nino, in 1998 it peaked in February higher than the current peak in January from the El Nino. The El Nino is now cooling off. In otherwords every 10 years or so to get a spike is quite normal and has nothing more than the cocean currents. In a year or two that hot spot will be balanced out with a cold spot. But hey makes a great headline for global warming....oh and in 2008 it was very cold. Can't really draw much of a conclusion from the 3 or 4 strong El Nino's in the 30 year satellite record. Everytime a strong El Nino occurs in a month it hasn't occured before you WILL GET A TEMP RECORD, and it means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

The annual ups and downs on the Satellite record are far higher than the average rise.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 19 February 2010, 13:54.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Up, Up, Up

Exactly, the satellite record is a noisy signal, and so you need to take a long enough sample to average out the noise due to such influences as El Nino (and La Nina). The long term linear trend using all the satellite data - about 30 years - is +0.18C / decade, in line with climate model projections.
                    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Working...
                    X