• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Observations From The Bench

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Observations From The Bench

Like a few other people on this forum, I've just come through my longest period on the bench since starting contracting 10 years ago. In fact, previously, I had only had one 4-week period without a contract in all that time. This time... three and a half months (albeit, with Xmas in the middle).

Yesterday, I hit the most bizarre jackpot... three job interviews - three immediate offers. This after months of endless calls, failed interviews, treks across the country, maddening demands for one little skill which I happened not to have, and "there was another guy who was just a bit better than you" (I so nearly went and bought a sniper rifle so I could take out that mysterious other guy).

Anyway, some observations:

1. This is the first time I've had extensive and long drawn-out dealings with agents and, on the basis of this experience, I have a lot of respect for a lot of those agents. In the past it's just been a case of them getting my CV, bunging it at the client, organising an interview and issuing the contract. This time, with the competition so extreme, I had agents feeding me every bit of information they could glean from previous applicants, talks with other contractors on site, grilling the client... any source. One interview, I went in practically with the script in my hand. It's a mug's game praising agents on here, of course, but my personal experience has been very positive, even while I was having such a frustrating time.

2. Even if you have a specific set of skills and years of experience, there are many different types of jobs and you will not be a guaranteed shoe-in for any old ad which matches your skill-set on paper. For the first couple of months, the tiny handful of roles which I got to interview for were all... how to put it... "ultra-technical". What I mean is, they wanted my skillset, but they wanted it to total expert level and paid no attention whatsoever to personality, experience, communication or presentation. Having an all round "valuable team member" history was of no interest to those particular employers. At first, that really got me down. I found that every interview I went in to, they would somehow manage to find a topic which I knew little about, or in a couple of cases had literally never heard of. That sort of thing gives you huge self-doubts. Over the last couple of weeks, however, I have found interviewers getting far more excited about the personality and communication skills and not requiring that total expertise (and in the majority of cases it is simply not needed anyway - most of these jobs follow a common knowledge requirement, and if something really unusual comes along then you just look it up ). These are simply different jobs with different types of employers, and fortunately there are quite a lot of employers who don't have the need for pure technical excellence, the rest of the package is at least as important.

3. Interview questions go in and out of fashion. As far as possible, listen carefully to the questions you don't know the answers to, and write them down as soon as you come out of an interview. Look them up, and learn them. There is a very strong chance that the same or very similar questions will crop up in other interviews you do around the same time. Almost every JavaScript interview I've done over the last couple of months has asked for an explanation of "closures", for example. I'd never once been asked about closures before in 13 years of web developing. Currently, it seems they are the most important thing to know about JavaScript, though I'll be interested to find out when I first have any need at all to use one. Hasn't happened so far.

4. You get the job you're not that bothered about and don't really expect to get. That's a common observation, I know, but yesterday I wasn't that bothered about any of the three roles I interviewed for. I came out of each interview feeling that I'd be happy to work there, but really not sure if they would want me, and all three made immediate offers. It makes you start believing in astrology and fate and all that. Maybe the trick is to not be bothered about any jobs you apply for, which probably applies to a lot of people here anyway - possibly the most successful ones.

Rambled on there, but just wanted to put a couple of those things down. For some reason.

Well done
    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Congrats

Does that mean there are at least 2 real jobs yet to be filled??
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

and Thanks.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post

3. Interview questions go in and out of fashion. As far as possible, listen carefully to the questions you don't know the answers to, and write them down as soon as you come out of an interview. Look them up, and learn them. There is a very strong chance that the same or very similar questions will crop up in other interviews you do around the same time. Almost every JavaScript interview I've done over the last couple of months has asked for an explanation of "closures", for example. I'd never once been asked about closures before in 13 years of web developing. Currently, it seems they are the most important thing to know about JavaScript, though I'll be interested to find out when I first have any need at all to use one. Hasn't happened so far.

It really annoys me, as a front end developer who does an extremely high proportion of work involving Javascript when they ask about closures ........ Ive had that happen to me in interviews too. I'd like to say to them 'Well you show me anywhere in your existing scripts where you have used them'.

Usually the question is asked just to sound clever, but more often than not its posed by people who wouldnt know themselves apart from what theyve written down from the web after looking up the answer.

Comment

It is all balls anyway. Skillset, experience, etc.

We spend most of the time posting on CUK anyway.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

I use closures all the time

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                "Hey, guys, NickFitz uses closures."
                "He uses what?"
                "Closures."
                "What are closures?"
                "How the hell should I know?"
                "We have to find out."
                "Yes, we do, and we have to be sure that we never hire anyone in future unless they can clearly demonstrate that they use closures at least as much as NickFitz does, right?"
                "Do such gods as these walk this Earth?"
                "Probably not, no, but interview them all anyway."

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
                  "Hey, guys, NickFitz uses closures."
                  "He uses what?"
                  "Closures."
                  "What are closures?"
                  "How the hell should I know?"
                  "We have to find out."
                  "Yes, we do, and we have to be sure that we never hire anyone in future unless they can clearly demonstrate that they use closures at least as much as NickFitz does, right?"
                  "Do such gods as these walk this Earth?"
                  "Probably not, no, but interview them all anyway."
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

I don't use them, but I can't see what all the conceptual fuss is about. A closure is just a snapshot of a local context that can live on after the original has gone, somewhat analogous to a unix fork.

At least, that's how I've always understood them. But if this is "geek interview question of the month", and there is a better or more accurate definition, perhaps you could elucidate Nick.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X