• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cash Incentive To Agents?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cash Incentive To Agents?

Well, I've been looking for a new contract for a month now, so I hope January brings better luck. 3 years ago, just after 9/11, I was on the bench for almost a year.

So this time, I'm thinking of offering a cash incentive to agents to get me that lucrative contract. Say £500-£1000 if they successfully place me.

Has anyone done the same thing before and found it helped them get that contract or does anyone know any reasons why I should stay away from this tactic?
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

If agents were honest, upstanding individuals who believed in doing their jobs to best of their abilities, by finding the best client/contractor match i would most definatly not recommend this tactic

But as they are not.....

Though will say if you are repeatedly finding ourself on the bench for extended periods of time maybe you should make use of those periods to extend/improve your skill set?

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus
      So this time, I'm thinking of offering a cash incentive to agents to get me that lucrative contract. Say £500-£1000 if they successfully place me.
      I don't think that agents are allowed to do this legally, so you might be talking personal bribes.

Mind you, I'd be interested to know what else the agent could do other than ensure that your CV slaps onto the client's desk.

The client has still got to like your CV enough to invite you for an interview and, after the interview, like you enough to declare you the winner.

So it's an agent-client scam you're after.

IANAL etc.
      Last edited by stackpole; 24 December 2005, 00:07.

Comment

Well, I've been looking for a new contract for a month now, so I hope January brings better luck. 3 years ago, just after 9/11, I was on the bench for almost a year.

Has anyone done the same thing before and found it helped them get that contract or does anyone know any reasons why I should stay away from this tactic?
        Yes, I have done this successfully. It was shortly after the dot com boom when BA positions were as rare as rocking horse tulip. I offered a cash commission to several agents and told them all that the first to place me would win £1k. It worked an absolute treat - they couldn't do enough for me and always ensured that I was the first to hear about any vacancy that arose.

All you are doing by applying cash is tweaking the model so that it works more like the showbiz agency model. The agent is now working for you (after all, the commission they receive from their own employer is pitiful in comparison). Highly recommended.

Oh yes, and don't forget to pay the reward in cash as you can be sure as eggs is eggs the agent will have "forgotten" to tell both his employer and the taxman about it so you forever have a hold over him/her. Of course, it's a legitimate company expense from your side although you may have to raise a self bill invoice as the agent might be reluctant (for obvious reasons) to raise one for you.

Comment

Thanks all for the advice. I have kept my skills up to date although I am lacking on .Net at present, which I intend to start reading over Christmas.
          Right now, I'm reading a book on options trading.

Lucifer, hope your not an agent otherwise your advice makes sense, especially when agents are only allowed to put 3 cv's in front of a client.

Sounds like I may be courting the devil in the new year.

Comment

Lucifer, hope your not an agent otherwise your advice makes sense, especially when agents are only allowed to put 3 cv's in front of a client.
            Wash your mouth out, Santa.
            Mind you, for £1k cash I'll be happy to try and find a job for you.

You have hit the nail on the head though. Although Stackpole says (with some validity) "what's the point as the client has to like you", offering the agent cash ensures two things:

1. You're the first to hear about the vacancy
            2. All other things being equal, it's your CV that gets put forward in preference to anybody else's.

Plus, of course, if it doesn't work, it doesn't cost you anything. Be sure though to only pay the commission after your probationary period has passed.

Comment

Makes sense as a queue-jumping tactic. I might try it if I'm still out of work mid-way through January.

Merry Christmas to all.

Comment

Working...
              X