• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Text Speak - Real or Gobbledygook

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Text Speak - Real or Gobbledygook

Right. For all of those CUK readers who cannot understand a bloody word that some of the posters are talking about, here is a 'txt spk' dictionary.

As quite a few of the shortened phrases don't even actually exist (you know who you are Nick!) I feel now is the time to start highlighting poor usage.

http://www.lingo2word.com/dictionary.php

MF
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Tftt Lu2b

Comment

whs - what a heap of tulip.

Comment

The sad thing is this will become the new English language when all the chav kids grow up.

I suppose it's only natural, the language we speak today is nothing like what it was even 100 years ago never mind a thousand.

One day we'll progress to the level of other animals where we can communicate with only whistles and squawks.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCE2 of Darkness
          Eh? Rubbish. No it's not. Charles Darwin is perfectly readable and Jane Austen is perfectly readable and that was 200 years ago.

You have a wander around London 100 years ago and I bet you'll think the majority (not the upper classes with their poncy finishing schools) of people are speaking a different language.

It's the masses that control the language hence why the Oxford Dictionary is plagued with recent non-words.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

American is English from 100-150 years ago (so I heard on QI).

I can speak with Americans quite easily, so I don't think it's going to be a problem in my lifetime...
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              You have a wander around London 100 years ago and I bet you'll think the majority of people are speaking a different language. .
              Just like today then.

American English will become the new English. "Quit" is now common place; kids are "grounded"; people order in pubs with "can I get..", and there's even a thread on CUK about SUVs.

It's only the meaning of fanny that defines us as English, and I'm sure that'll change.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

English language. Bring on the "updations".

Comment

One of the problems with that septic lingo is that it is very infectious. I am highly exposed to them and often use their expressions and when I find myself doing so I feel very

I use colloquial English to wind the septics up. However, I got told off for using 'gagging for it' the other day.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Most of the things you're whining about originated online in the early Usenet and email days - nothing to do with textspeak.

YHBT, HAND

Comment

Working...
                    X