• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do agents ever state whether or not a job advertised is outside of IR35 or not ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do agents ever state whether or not a job advertised is outside of IR35 or not ?

Do agents ever state whether or not a job advertised (and its associated contract) is outside of IR35 or not ?

How many times have you heard the words, "I dunno, its not for me to say.".

Its quite important to know up front as it could mean (around) a difference of the contractor receiving an extra £1300 per month say on a £65/hour contract if he's not caught.

You could spend ages trying to get a contract that demands so much of you at the job interview stage and the actual job only to find out at signing that you get caught by IR35, surely it is better to take an easier job which is easier at the selection process that has a solid contract which exempts you from being caught by IR35.
    Last edited by eliquant; 21 February 2010, 09:18.

I'd be suprised if many of them even know what IR35 is let alone the intricacies.

End of the day IR35 is a voluntary* tax. Why else have HMRC () only ever won a handful of the hundreds of cases they've persued?

* I remember working with a contractor in 2001 and he voluntarilly paid something like £11k for fear of being caught later. Maybe it's a small price to pay for peace of mind, but I sleep pretty good anyway. The scum can't take what I don't have.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

But even if the contract is compliant, that's meaningless unless working practices are also aligned. You don't really know how compliant you are until you start.

Comment

If they advertised something as outside IR35 that was subsequently found to be inside, then that could be seen as false advertising, a breach of contract, or possibly even end with them being liable for your losses. They wouldn't take the risk.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
          Do agents ever state whether or not a job advertised (and its associated contract) is outside of IR35 or not ?

How many times have you heard the words, "I dunno, its not for me to say.".

Its quite important to know up front as it could mean (around) a difference of the contractor receiving an extra £1300 per month say on a £65/hour contract if he's not caught.

You could spend ages trying to get a contract that demands so much of you at the job interview stage and the actual job only to find out at signing that you get caught by IR35, surely it is better to take an easier job which is easier at the selection process that has a solid contract which exempts you from being caught by IR35.
          Oh do come on, how many agents advertise whether a job is real or not...
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

In other words you only find out if the contract is outside of IR35 "friendly" when you get it through the post as a job offer.......... great.....

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              End of the day IR35 is a voluntary* tax. Why else have HMRC only ever won a handful of the hundreds of cases they've persued?
              Stats like that are meaningless unless you know how many contractors simply tick the box. Apart from on here and the PCG forums, I've met very few contractors who know what IR35 is - they all just tick the box and pay the tax.

EDIT: And if you use an umbrella, as many do, doesn't IR35 become irrelevant?
              Last edited by Platypus; 21 February 2010, 15:32.

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
                In other words you only find out if the contract is outside of IR35 "friendly" when you get it through the post as a job offer.......... great.....
                well partly - but the contractor plays a part in setting the terms and working conditions too.

Comment

Working...
                X