• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SUV is the best choice of car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUV is the best choice of car

Following the BMW 6 series thread it got me thinking about how many different models BMW have brought out in the last 10 years, and out of them all I think the X5 is the best choice for our roads today:

1. Can handle pot-holes, poorly repaired road surfaces, and speed bumps with ease.

2. As much room and practicality as a 5 door hatchback.

3. Comfy for long journeys.

4. Some off-road 4x4 capability, ideal when we have this white stuff knocking about.

5. Good road visibility by being higher up that most other cars, so you can anticipate the hazards ahead and idiots driving in front.

So I think people with SUVs should be applauded, they've made a smart choice. As for the green issue, sod the planet, it will still be here when we've all gone.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

I am thinking about buying my first SUV too, will either be a new model Porsche Cayenne hybrid or a VW Toerag hybrid.

Both models coming out later this year.

I like the Merc SUVs too, Audi SUV design not so much.

The BMW X5, which may well be the best handling of the lot, but i dont like the shape, and i also dont like the fact that BMWs are way to common in the UK today.

Couple of Land rovers on our street already (one Freelander and one Disco), so wont be considering those either.

Lexus have hybrid SUVs too, but Mrs Condor says Lexus is a 'fake' brand.
    Last edited by Iron Condor; 21 February 2010, 11:26.

Comment

Am waiting for my new Nissan Qashqai SUV to be delivered in the next couple of weeks...

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
        Am waiting for my new Nissan Qashqai SUV to be delivered in the next couple of weeks...
        We looked at one of those a few weeks back, I like them.

Comment

If I was going for a big SUV, I'd go Land Cruiser or Disco.

All of the others just seem a bit to "car-like"
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            If I was going for a big SUV, I'd go Land Cruiser or Disco.

All of the others just seem a bit to "car-like"

That may be part of the appeal. Something that drives like a car (well, as close as you can get for a heavy lump with a high centre of gravity) but has the other benefits I listed that mean cars are now a compromise on our roads.

Certainly if you intend doing any proper off-roading at all, and not just a few days of driving in snow a year, then the big stuff is where the real deal is, though from what I've seen they have relatively poor MPG so not that suitable for commuting or visiting client sites when one of the baby SUVs will do the job just as well.
            Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Add another point to the list:

6. Better suited (in diesel/auto form) for cruising about so you finish the journey relaxed, without the temptation to race about like an idiot to the next traffic jam.

I'm getting tired of shelling out loads for sporty cars that barely do 30mpg, only to be stuck in traffic behind morons doing 40 in a 60, getting frustrated that there's no safe overtaking opportunities due to the amount of traffic on the roads. I'm sure that's a large factor in the number of A road deaths.

Also tired of sport suspension and low profile tyres, which while great on perfectly smooth roads, are poor on the majority of the roads we have.
              Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Picked up my 1st SUV yesterday, Land Rover Discovery 3.

It's f**king great!
                Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  Add another point to the list:

6. Better suited (in diesel/auto form) for cruising about so you finish the journey relaxed, without the temptation to race about like an idiot to the next traffic jam.

I'm getting tired of shelling out loads for sporty cars that barely do 30mpg, only to be stuck in traffic behind morons doing 40 in a 60, getting frustrated that there's no safe overtaking opportunities due to the amount of traffic on the roads. I'm sure that's a large factor in the number of A road deaths.

Also tired of sport suspension and low profile tyres, which while great on perfectly smooth roads, are poor on the majority of the roads we have.
                  ah.... you're on the first steps to getting old - comfort over style & common sense over bravado. Welcome to the club
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                    Picked up my 1st SUV yesterday, Land Rover Discovery 3.

It's f**king great!
                    Hope you live in the city
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X