• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government acts to soothe foreign investors’ fears

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Government acts to soothe foreign investors’ fears

Alistair Darling will today move to reassure international businesses that Britain under Labour will not impose surprise tax changes on them.

The Chancellor will publish a draft document entitled Tax Framework for Multinationals, which promises to consult large corporations on new business levies (AtW's comment: ) and pledges to ensure that tax legislation does not place firms at a competitive disadvantage or trigger vast amounts of red tape.

While executives will not be able to influence the size of new tax rises, the Treasury is keen that business is consulted over the impact of the levies.

More Govt tulip here: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle7035685.ece

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Alistair Darling will today move to reassure international businesses that Britain under Labour will not impose surprise tax changes on them.

The Chancellor will publish a draft document entitled Tax Framework for Multinationals, which [promises to consult large corporations on new business levies (AtW's comment: ) and pledges to ensure that tax legislation does not place firms at a competitive disadvantage or trigger vast amounts of red tape.

While executives will not be able to influence the size of new tax rises, the Treasury is keen that business is consulted over the impact of the levies.

So that they can fast track people in without the need to fill out a form.

Comment

I think HMRC is falling apart - I've had letters from both the personal tax department and now the corporate tax department saying they have not received their monies, despite the transactions being there on my statements. And their phonelines are constantly engaged.

Well, **** 'em and their overly complicated, inefficient systems..
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
        Well, **** 'em and their overly complicated, inefficient systems..

How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Garrr! Last year they demanded a ridiculous sum of cash which my fantastic accountants got to less than 10%, which was the true figure.

What is with these idiots?

It's not just that the actual amounts of tax are so obscene, it's the entire entity would last five minutes in the real world before becoming bankrupt.

FFS! Sometimes you get to the point where you wonder whether you can be bothered in this country...

Comment

The Chancellor will publish a draft document entitled Tax Framework for Multinationals, which promises to consult large corporations on new business levies (AtW's comment: ) and pledges to ensure that tax legislation does not place firms at a competitive disadvantage or trigger vast amounts of red tape.

58% of private sector employment in the UK is in small businesses. Many of those businesses operate internationally. They might be worth consulting too, Mr Darling.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              58% of private sector employment in the UK is in small businesses. Many of those businesses operate internationally. They might be worth consulting too, Mr Darling.
              Yes, but %-tage of corporate donations to Nu Liebor party that comes from small businesses is very much 0.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                FFS! Quite a lot of the time you get to the point where you wonder whether you can be bothered in this country...
                FTFY
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester
                  Yes, but %-tage of corporate donations to Nu Liebor party that comes from small businesses is very much 0.
                  Yes, but %-tage of small businesses consulted by Nu Liebor party is very much 0.

Cause and effect.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    FTFY
                    Thank you! And correct!

Comment

Working...
                    X