• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The real 'advantages' of being a contractor...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The real 'advantages' of being a contractor...

Now we all know when you start out in contracting you look on the web you see sites telling you the 'Advantages' and 'Disadvantages' of contracting to try and help you in your decision and the obvious ones are always 'potential to earn more money', 'Flexibility' but there are a lot of other reasons why I love contracting like -

Free stationary - ok yes you can get that in a permie role but the selection is wider, don't like the grade of sellotape at one place, or no pink marker you really really want, wait a few weeks/months till the next job and see what they have in the depths of the cupboard.

Passwords- Hate having to sit there for an hour thinking of new (non repated passwords, musty contain 50 characters, one symbol etc etc) everytime the system prompts you to change it every 3 months, in a lot of cases I can use the same few passwords time and time again. Happy days!

Soap Opera - Love the soaps come work as a contractor sit back and watch the daily/weekly issues unfold before your eyes, will your bosses secretary have her secret found out of her affair with the post boy, the uproar in the office when a new project comes out and someone who should not get it ends up doing it, the same person has come in late again 3 days on the trot, stop the press!!!

Excuses - Used all your excuses up and now down to the excuse your cat has died (again) to get you out of that work do or the invitation by the geeky smelly one for a BBQ one Sat, use your top excuses knowing that by the time the next 'would rather kill myself' event happens you will be gone and can re-use all those same excuses again and no-one would have heard them.

Leaving - You know the scene, your sat on your last day, the moment someone moves there is a sense of dread, then the worst happens, feet start shuffling, faces start peering round the corner and the leaving presentation begins, my face goes red I stumble my words like an idiot and I want a hole to open and swallow me. Now I stand up shake my bosses hand give the obligitory 'Thanks for everything' and if I'm really forced 'I've enjoyed the contract' when all I'm thinking is thanks for the cash and off I trot, no embarrasment, less hassle much better!!

Any more anyone....

Sorry slow day...in fact slow month!!
    Last edited by curtis; 22 February 2010, 10:33. Reason: add

Free stationary - ok yes you can get that in a permie role but the selection is wider, don't like the grade of sellotape at one place, or no pink marker you really really want, wait a few weeks/months till the next job and see what they have in the depths of the cupboard.
    When I set up our office abroad one of my wonderful jobs was to kit the place out. We were supplied with desks etc, but had to find everything else. I was gob-smacked by the amount of money we had to spend down the local Staples (or whatever it was). I found out why when costs have to be controlled they lock the stationary cupboard.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Paying your travel costs before tax, rather than after tax
      (that always winds the permies up).

Not doing "360 degree" reviews, and declining to do them
      for permies (that always winds the permies up).

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
        Passwords- Hate having to sit there for an hour thinking of new (non repated passwords, musty contain 50 characters, one symbol etc etc) everytime the system prompts you to change it every 3 months, in a lot of cases I can use the same few passwords time and time again. Happy days!
        password1
        password2
        password3
        password4
        password5
        password6
        password1

This is the password I use at every client site. They'll never know and I'll never forget it.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
          When I set up our office abroad one of my wonderful jobs was to kit the place out. We were supplied with desks etc, but had to find everything else. I was gob-smacked by the amount of money we had to spend down the local Staples (or whatever it was). I found out why when costs have to be controlled they lock the stationary cupboard.
          It's bloody expensive to fill an office with all that stuff. At least I have an appreciation as to the better things in the cupboard to grab
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
          X