• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bad Back

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Back

ok, so I did a lot of heavy lifting over the weekend and now I have a large amount of pain in my upper back to the point where I look like a robot whenever I turn.

Should I goto the doc's, get a massage or just sleep on it tonight and stop moaning?
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Originally posted by chef View Post
    ok, so I did a lot of heavy lifting over the weekend and now I have a large amount of pain in my upper back to the point where I look like a robot whenever I turn.

Should I goto the doc's, get a massage or just sleep on it tonight and stop moaning?
    Lie down for a while on a hard surface (i.e. floor) before you go to bed. Sleep tonight and if it's still bad tomorrow get a massage. If that doesn't help within a couple of days go to the doc.

I am a qualified fitness trainer but not a qualified physician so my advice is well meaning and based on experience but is not a professional medical opinion so do not consider my advice perfect etc because if you sue me I will beat your f**king head in.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Take some ibuprofen and take it easy, if it's still giving you hassle in a day or so, go and see an osteopath.

If you go to the docs, they'll just give you painkillers and send you on your way.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I have a bad back, and have ever since I fell over in a sauna hitting L3/L4 on the wooden bench.

Best thing to do is take ibuprofen, meanwhile, book yourself a physio appointment which will take around 3-4 days to get sorted. If you see physio when raw, you will not get the benefit.

All being well time and ibuprofen will sort things out, but well worth getting a once over from a physio.

Do NOT go to a chiropractor, you need a more gentle approach first before you get your spine manipulated!

Also worth trying spending the evening with a hot water bottle to your back.

Edit: Well worth taking a couple of paracetamol as well - although poo-pooed ad not any good, with ibuprofen they can take the edge off.

Whatever you do, don't sieze up and do nothing - do cat stretch and gentle side to side movements to keep as mobile as you can, but don't do anything daft like weight lifting! Gentle jog may be what you need to keep mobile though.
        Last edited by Wilmslow; 22 February 2010, 12:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
          I have a bad back, and have ever since I fell over in a sauna hitting L3/L4 on the wooden bench.

Best thing to do is take ibuprofen, meanwhile, book yourself a physio appointment which will take around 3-4 days to get sorted. If you see physio when raw, you will not get the benefit.

All being well time and ibuprofen will sort things out, but well worth getting a once over from a physio.

Do NOT go to a chiropractor, you need a more gentle approach first before you get your spine manipulated!

Also worth trying spending the evening with a hot water bottle to your back.
          WIS.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Get g/f Chef to go on a diet or stop trying to do it standing up
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

You don't need to do anything. It'll get better. If the Dr sees you walking into surgery he''lll know nothings wrong, because slipped disc patients don't walk, they just lay on the floor in agony.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                You don't need to do anything. It'll get better. If the Dr sees you walking into surgery he''lll know nothings wrong, because slipped disc patients don't walk, they just lay on the floor in agony.
                Slipped disc isn't the only possible back injury.

Comment

What were you lifting to cause the back pain?
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

How heavy?

Comment

Working...
                    X