• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench: Vol. VIII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Bench: Vol. VIII

Another selection of stuff to baffle, bemuse, and possibly enlighten:
    • 3D Painted Rooms - some very nice effects that only appear if one stands in just the right place.

• Why the ignorant are blissful: Inept individuals ooze confidence - "People who do things badly, Dunning has found... are usually supremely confident of their abilities -- more confident, in fact, than people who do things well."

• 10 Bad Project Warning Signs - handy list of things that should trigger alarm bells, from Andy Budd.

• A History of the Sentence "Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo." - buffalo |ˈbəfəˌlō| n. a heavily built wild ox with backswept horns; vt. overawe or intimidate (someone).

• Excel as a database - "As a developer, you've probably, at some unfortunate point in your life (possibly several points, actually), been handed an Excel file that has been crammed full of 'data' by someone in marketing and told to 'do something with it.'" Rory presents a comic strip that seeks to explain how these things come to be inflicted on the hapless developer.

• Hacking IKEA - video (MP4) showing how to make fire using only IKEA products.

• 2010 CWE/SANS Top 25 Most Dangerous Programming Errors - "The Top 25 list is a tool for education and awareness to help programmers to prevent the kinds of vulnerabilities that plague the software industry, by identifying and avoiding all-too-common mistakes that occur before software is even shipped. Software customers can use the same list to help them to ask for more secure software. Researchers in software security can use the Top 25 to focus on a narrow but important subset of all known security weaknesses. Finally, software managers and CIOs can use the Top 25 list as a measuring stick of progress in their efforts to secure their software."

• A Nation of Racist Dwarfs - I get the impression Christopher Hitchens doesn't think too highly of North Korea.

• Carnivorous Plants - fascinating article, excellent photo gallery. "By comparing the DNA of carnivorous plants with other species, scientists have found that they evolved independently on at least six separate occasions. " (Five pages.)

• Bob's page of mildly useful but still pretty neat code snippets - obligatory nerd stuff, mainly in C although some 80x86 assembler is also shown

Happy invoicing

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    • 3D Painted Rooms - some very nice effects that only appear if one stands in just the right place.

• Why the ignorant are blissful: Inept individuals ooze confidence - "People who do things badly, Dunning has found... are usually supremely confident of their abilities -- more confident, in fact, than people who do things well."

• 10 Bad Project Warning Signs - handy list of things that should trigger alarm bells, from Andy Budd.

• A History of the Sentence "Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo." - buffalo |ˈbəfəˌlō| n. a heavily built wild ox with backswept horns; vt. overawe or intimidate (someone).

• Excel as a database - "As a developer, you've probably, at some unfortunate point in your life (possibly several points, actually), been handed an Excel file that has been crammed full of 'data' by someone in marketing and told to 'do something with it.'" Rory presents a comic strip that seeks to explain how these things come to be inflicted on the hapless developer.

• 2010 CWE/SANS Top 25 Most Dangerous Programming Errors - "The Top 25 list is a tool for education and awareness to help programmers to prevent the kinds of vulnerabilities that plague the software industry, by identifying and avoiding all-too-common mistakes that occur before software is even shipped. Software customers can use the same list to help them to ask for more secure software. Researchers in software security can use the Top 25 to focus on a narrow but important subset of all known security weaknesses. Finally, software managers and CIOs can use the Top 25 list as a measuring stick of progress in their efforts to secure their software."

• A Nation of Racist Dwarfs - I get the impression Christopher Hitchens doesn't think too highly of North Korea.

• Carnivorous Plants - fascinating article, excellent photo gallery. "By comparing the DNA of carnivorous plants with other species, scientists have found that they evolved independently on at least six separate occasions. " (Five pages.)

• Bob's page of mildly useful but still pretty neat code snippets - obligatory nerd stuff, mainly in C although some 80x86 assembler is also shown

Happy invoicing

Comment

Happy invoicing
      Nick, I don't know if you have this on any of your lists...

http://www.azillionmonkeys.com/qed/tech.shtml

Comment

I printed out and presented one of your Tesco Value birthday cards at the weekend. The recipient was delighted...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          Nick, I don't know if you have this on any of your lists...

http://www.azillionmonkeys.com/qed/tech.shtml
          Nice! Bookmarked

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
            I printed out and presented one of your Tesco Value birthday cards at the weekend. The recipient was delighted...
            Excellent!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              NF's one post is more interesting and vastly more relevant that 17,000 + of yours.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                NF's one post is more interesting and vastly more relevant that 17,000 + of yours.
                I know!

Comment

A certain self proclaimed 'guru' inhabiting this forum comes to mind

Comment

[*]A History of the Sentence "Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo." - buffalo |ˈbəfəˌlō| n. a heavily built wild ox with backswept horns; vt. overawe or intimidate (someone).
                    In English in 1st year of secondary school (so aged about 11) the teacher showed us a sentence with a word repeated three times. She said the most you can have is five. The example she gave was:

The chip shop owner complained to the signwriter by saying:
                    "I wanted more space between Fish and and and and and Chips."
                    To which your smart-arse RC said:

When I saw that in a book my Dad gave me, I thought it would have been easier to read if they had left more space between each section. That is, have extra space between
                    Fish and and
                    and
                    and
                    and
                    and
                    and
                    and and Chips."
                    She was not only not impressed, she said "That can't be right because the book says five is the maximum".

The bitch.
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X