• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Abolish-ICTs - epetition response

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abolish-ICTs - epetition response

Sminki

Summary:
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

"We do not allow migrant workers to be used as a source of cheap labour and undercut UK workers."

Might as well stop reading there.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      Sminki

Summary:
      This really is a kick in the teeth at every level. I could gripe about how this affects me but I may come across as selfish so let's look how it affects another section of society, those wanting to break into the industry...

"An additional route will be created to allow graduates on global graduate programmes to transfer to the UK for a period of no more than 12 months where they have three months experience of working for the company."

What about our f***ing graduates! Most of them struggle to get a bar job after graduating.

This country is doomed

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        "We do not allow migrant workers to be used as a source of cheap labour and undercut UK workers."

Might as well stop reading there.
        WHS +1

Its a ******* disgrace immigrants are allowed to come in and undercut us. I dont have a problem with fair competition. But when joe so and so from Bangladesh can get by of 10 quid a day so thinks he's mega rich when he gets 80 to 100 quid a day in the UK, that isnt competition.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

The response is a load of bollocks, clearly ICT is a way of importing cheap labour otherwise why would companies use the likes of TechM?

It annoys me that we have identified a genuine issue that will affect the UK's competitiveness in IT, and they're not even interested in investigating it; rather they just re-state the justification for the policy without trying to understanding its impact.

This has even been investigated by the mainstream media and yet they don't care. I suspect the tories won't care either, unless it's id'ed by their election software as an issue that swing voters care about.

Comment

Why have the PCG never done anything with the information from the ictabuse website? It has been there for a year, I know I have sent them a couple of obviously dodgy jobs but they never even sent me an automated reply.

Some people on here should get a site going, start publishing replies from MPs on the subject.

Comment

Move up the food chain or get eaten.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post
                First they came for the DBAs, and I did not speak out—because I was not a DBA;
                Then they came for the support staff, and I did not speak out—because I was not in system support;
                Then they came for the testers, and I did not speak out—because I was not a tester;
                Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I am pretty far up the food chain and I am always in contract when I want to work but I have lost a couple of jobs to Bobs. Bobs with no skills and getting paid peanuts

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post
                  Indeed. While I'm still primarily technical I emphasise on my CV my exposure to the full project lifecycle & other things that I can bring to the table as well as coding skills. Consequently, most of the contracts I get fit that bill & I now see myself as more of a consultant than a progammer / software engineer.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    First they came for the DBAs, and I did not speak out—because I was not a DBA;
                    Then they came for the support staff, and I did not speak out—because I was not in system support;
                    Then they came for the testers, and I did not speak out—because I was not a tester;
                    Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak out for me.
                    Good point, well made.

The less people there are in this country to pay tax, the more tax we all have to pay.

Comment

Working...
                    X