• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Guardian Poll - Tory Lead Down to 7%

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guardian Poll - Tory Lead Down to 7%

Terrible news, although I have no idea whether the Guardian can skew their questions "this baby would die from Conservative evil unless you voted Labour, will you vote Labour?" or ask in areas where there are large numbers of people who are easily brainwashed or of below normal intelligence.

That said Cameron isn't setting the world alight. A hung parliament is looking scarily likely right now, but I think the Conservatives will just win it outright by a whisker.
    They really need to get the boundary changes in straight away.
    Lord Tebbit speaks:
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/no...-could-happen/

"Just think about the numbers again. In 2005 Labour could poll only 9.5 million votes. Even in John Major’s ghastly defeat of 1997 he polled 9.6 million. This election ought to be a walkover for the Tories and an absolute annihilation of Labour."

This an interesting article on The Independent today suggesting this is the election that the Tories should lose.

I like the thought of watching another Labour government turning up at the IMF begging for a handout. (Then again, maybe not.)

More worringly, the article suggests BroonEye has first dibs on trying to form a government in a hung result.
    Last edited by moorfield; 23 February 2010, 08:56.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
      I like the thought of watching another Labour government turning up at the IMF begging for a handout. (Then again, maybe not.)
      This would have two positive aspects. Firstly, Britain would be forced to get public spending under control, which would be good for all in the long run. Secondly, it would ensure the destruction of the labour party.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
        More worringly, the article suggests BroonEye has first dibs on trying to form a government in a hung result.
        Wait a minute. Wouldn't that be the perfect result?

As things stand, the economy will get worse during the next five years, and if they win power the Tories will get the blame and voted out at the end of it. But supposing:
        1. Brown forms a minority government.
        2. Tories and Lib Dems let it run for a year or two while the economy gets worse, as expected.
        3. Voters see Brown still in charge.
        4. Parliament holds a vote of no confidence, which is certain to be passed by the majority.
        5. New election, Labour turfed out for a generation. Game, set and match.

Perhaps this is what the Tories are trying to engineer by reducing their poll lead.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          This would have two positive aspects. Firstly, Britain would be forced to get public spending under control, which would be good for all in the long run. Secondly, it would ensure the destruction of the labour party.
          Aye. I've been saying this for a while now.

People always come round to HABs way of thinking in the end.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

If you think the Tories winning are going to save Britain, you are going to be sorely disappointed.

The only way to save yourself from 10 years of misery and poverty is to emigrate somewhere with a good economy and a nice climate such as Australia or New Zealand.

Comment

Tories need to woo the Muslim vote

guardian link
              Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

There is still hope. We've been in a similar position before. Despite wrecking the economy in the 1970's Lab pushed the Tories pretty close in the '79 election.

1979 Election % of vote
                Con 43.9%
                Lab 36.9%
                Lib 13.8%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...election,_1979

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Wait a minute. Wouldn't that be the perfect result?

As things stand, the economy will get worse during the next five years, and if they win power the Tories will get the blame and voted out at the end of it. But supposing:
                  1. Brown forms a minority government.
                  2. Tories and Lib Dems let it run for a year or two while the economy gets worse, as expected.
                  3. Voters see Brown still in charge.
                  4. Parliament holds a vote of no confidence, which is certain to be passed by the majority.
                  5. New election, Labour turfed out for a generation. Game, set and match.

Perhaps this is what the Tories are trying to engineer by reducing their poll lead.
                  Yes, I'm starting to wonder about voting Labour as a longer term strategic move. I wonder what would happen if the Tories announced the above as their election strategy? (well clearly they'd lose the election but I wonder for how long the voters would hold it against them? Until the next series of Big Brother or I'm a Celebrity?)

Comment

I'm voting UKIP and hoping it splits the Tory vote. As it stands I can't tell the difference between any of the three major parties. 5 years of Brown presiding over a disaster and then being forcibly removed is better than a wet Tory Government that thinks it too has a mandate to sell us into Euro slavery.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X