PDA

View Full Version : Nissan GTR - good car / bad car ?

milanbenes
23rd February 2010, 09:28
Nissan GTR - good car / bad car ?

Milan.

DiscoStu
23rd February 2010, 09:29
Milan

Have you thought about joining PistonHeads?

Mich the Tester
23rd February 2010, 09:37
I don’t know. All the cars I’ve ever owned (Nissan Micra, Suzuki Jimny, Alfa 33, Alfa 166, BMW 325i, Peugeot 407 (which was shite), MB e240) have been thoroughly slagged down by everyone I know so I obviously know nothing about cars.

I have however noticed a pattern in this not entirely representative sample; French cars look smart when they’re new but are shite after about 6 months. Italian cars look fabulous, drive like a dream but fall to bits after a couple of years. Japanese cars look shite but never break. German cars look rather staid, drive quite comfortably and given the right servicing, which costs a bloody fortune, they last forever.

DimPrawn
23rd February 2010, 09:42
Milan, have you heard of taking a road test?

If you like the way it looks, like the way it drives and are happy with the price, it's a good car.

Not up to the standards of your 10 year old Passat mind.

Mich the Tester
23rd February 2010, 09:43
If you like the way it looks, like the way it drives and are happy with the price, it's a good car.
Is this the most sensible thing you've ever said, DP? It is quite shockingly sensible.

Say something stupid instead please.

Scary
23rd February 2010, 09:43
By all accounts a fantastic car. Pop down the Nissan garage and book yourself in for a test drive.

DimPrawn
23rd February 2010, 09:44
Is this the most sensible thing you've ever said, DP? It is quite shockingly sensible.

Say something stupid instead please.

I nearly forgot, and it has a German badge on the bonnet.

:wink

Lockhouse
23rd February 2010, 09:45
Nissan GTR - good car / bad car ?
Milan.

You have to ask?

VectraMan
23rd February 2010, 09:50
Having never driven one I can offer an opinion: it's too good. It only starts to become any fun at all at 150mph on a race track, but on the road it'll be boring. It's too easy to drive really fast everywhere, and you'll lose your licence and not enjoy it at all. Buy something that slides around at low speed instead.

I do think they look good though.

oversteer
23rd February 2010, 10:02
I'd love a GTR, but stories like this put me off :

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/127250-accident-dont-do-what-i-did.html

Yes, £11k to repair that damage.

stingman123
23rd February 2010, 10:34
Driving experience=good
Carbon footprint (whatever that is)=Very bad

Grin factor= priceless

ThomasSoerensen
23rd February 2010, 11:01
Driving experience=good
Carbon footprint (whatever that is)=Very bad

Grin factor= priceless

Driving experience=only good at high speeds on good roads ( so almost never)
Carbon footprint (whatever that is)=Very good as more carbon is better

Grin on the sales mans face= priceless

DimPrawn
23rd February 2010, 11:03
If it's like most Jap high performance cars, the suspension will be so hard it will be agonisingly painful to sit in and be skittish and unsettled on our ****ed up road surfaces.

BolshieBastard
23rd February 2010, 11:23
Latest version is a lot better car than previous incarnates. Much more road friendly.

Point is though, there's nowhere in the UK where you could drive it legally on the road to even get near its potential. You'd have to use it as a track car or move to Germany.

ThomasSoerensen
23rd February 2010, 11:40
Latest version is a lot better car than previous incarnates. Much more road friendly.

Point is though, there's nowhere in the UK where you could drive it legally on the road to even get near its potential. You'd have to use it as a track car or move to Germany.

When you get it , milan, I can store it for you and keep it ready for you when you drop by, I promise I will drive it every day to ensure it is in good running condition. Please budget a bit for petrol.

Hawkeye
24th February 2010, 10:17
It is a great car. A friend had one on order before official release. He is really pleased with it and it is just stunning. Costs a fortune to run and he has had to get secure parking for it but that is expected.

Hawkeye
24th February 2010, 10:26
If it's like most Jap high performance cars, the suspension will be so hard it will be agonisingly painful to sit in and be skittish and unsettled on our ****ed up road surfaces.

:laugh I have a high performance Jap car. Must say yep the suspension is very stiff but to counteract it the seats are like soft bouncy castles. Only thing is it makes you need to empty your bladder at least every hour on a long journey in the UK.

swamp
24th February 2010, 10:26
Costs a fortune to run and he has had to get secure parking for it but that is expected.

Why? It's only a £50K motor. It's no more than an RS4 and half the price of a Porsche 911.

Hawkeye
24th February 2010, 10:35
Why? It's only a £50K motor. It's no more than an RS4 and half the price of a Porsche 911.

Still a nickable car and like me he lives in East London. Pretty sure he paid £64k with all the extras.

I am on one of the Jap car forums and it is quite distressing how many Jap motors are stolen across the UK. One of the lads on there had his taken and was used to pull a cash machine out of a wall. :eek

swamp
24th February 2010, 11:00
Still a nickable car and like me he lives in East London. Pretty sure he paid £64k with all the extras.

I am on one of the Jap car forums and it is quite distressing how many Jap motors are stolen across the UK. One of the lads on there had his taken and was used to pull a cash machine out of a wall. :eek

Solution is to live in West London ;)

Actually if I had an expensive and desirable car I'd be worried about thieves breaking into my house to steal the keys.

Hawkeye
24th February 2010, 11:11
:laugh Everyone keeps saying that to me but I quite like it over there.

Am in a flat so it would take them breaking into 100 flats across the complex to figure out which one was mine not sure what it is like for him as haven't seen where it is parked. :o

SuperZ
24th February 2010, 11:28
Ultimate chav car for those Scooby Doo and Mitsubushi owners with a bit more money to spend/waste. A car for those brought up on gaming consoles.

Japanese performance cars just don't do it for me. I do appreciate some of the technology in the GTR however, but would never want to own one.

roadster198
24th February 2010, 12:47
1: It can lap the nurburgring as fast as it likes but it will ALWAYS!!! be a nissan and all that's associated with that.

2: It's no a Porsche.

3: End of thread :D

DimPrawn
24th February 2010, 12:49
Picture yourself in the pub telling your mates you had just parted with £65K and are now the proud owner of a Nissan.

You will either get stunned:

:tumble:

Or raucous:

:rollin:

zara_backdog
24th February 2010, 13:48
:laugh I have a high performance Jap car. Must say yep the suspension is very stiff but to counteract it the seats are like soft bouncy castles. Only thing is it makes you need to empty your bladder at least every hour on a long journey in the UK.

Thats Ok - you will need to stop every hour to fill up with fuel :happy

Hawkeye
24th February 2010, 14:17
Thats Ok - you will need to stop every hour to fill up with fuel :happy

:laugh It isn't that bad.

Stan.goodvibes
25th February 2010, 00:07
Here in Australasia where Jap cars are the norm over European cars telling everyone you spent $150k on a GTR at the pub will most likely get you pats on the back and the odd jealous comment.

Lamborghini are just developing their fastest car ever and on the Nurburgring ring it does (I read this somewhere and now can't find it) around 10 second slower than the GTR.

The GTR is a true supercar. I've had two Nissan Skylines (basis for old GTR) and the last GT I had was an awesome car for performance, handling and build quality.

Just a shame my now ex-wife threw it off a cliff and totally destroyed it.

Stan.goodvibes
25th February 2010, 00:23
1: It can lap the nurburgring as fast as it likes but it will ALWAYS!!! be a nissan and all that's associated with that.

2: It's no a Porsche.

3: End of thread :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring_lap_times Now that is a thrashing!

You mean Porsche that's now owned by Volkswagon (The Peoples Car).

"The Nissan VQ engines, of V6 configuration, have featured among Ward's 10 Best Engines for 14 straight years, since the award's inception."

"Nissan is among the top three Asian (also known as the Japanese Big 3 Automakers) rivals of the "Big Three" in the U.S. Currently it is the third largest Japanese car manufacturer"

face it - as the sun sets on the era of European/US domination and the era of the Asian Global Super-power gets underway, Nissan are already kicking Porsches, sorry, VWs ass.

Porsche 911 = FAIL

DimPrawn
25th February 2010, 09:38
If the Nissan costs £65K new in the UK with some options added, you could have a 2008 911 Turbo with the sport pack giving 450 bhp.

I know what I'd rather have.

Iron Condor
25th February 2010, 11:01
If the Nissan costs £65K new in the UK with some options added, you could have a 2008 911 Turbo with the sport pack giving 450 bhp.

yeah but if you going for second hand, you can probably get a 2008 GTR for 40k or less.

DimPrawn
25th February 2010, 11:03
yeah but if you going for second hand, you can probably get a 2008 GTR for 40k or less.

Each to their own.

I would rather own the 2nd hand Porsche 911 Turbo all specced up than a new Nissan.

swamp
25th February 2010, 11:14

The new vs old comparison is pointless.

The new GTR is a hot new car, and not many people have one: if you drive one you will stand out. In a few years time however the GTR will be verging on chav territory. It won't be the fastest thing round the 'ring any more and most examples will be heavily molested with tinted windows, chrome alloys and lurid decals. in 2014 Basingstoke Burger King car park will be its favoured stomping ground.

The 911 will still be a good car though.

Scary
25th February 2010, 11:31
If you're comparing with second hand cars for 65k you could have your pick of Ferrari 575 or 360, Audi R8, Lamborghini Gallardo, Aston DB9, etc., etc.

Xenophon
25th February 2010, 11:31
Passat

milan

DimPrawn
25th February 2010, 12:44
If you're comparing with second hand cars for 65k you could have your pick of Ferrari 575 or 360, Audi R8, Lamborghini Gallardo, Aston DB9, etc., etc.

I'd take any of those over a Nissan.

Stan.goodvibes
25th February 2010, 22:26
I'd take any of those over a Nissan.

So..... not a fan of Nissan then?

Stan.goodvibes
25th February 2010, 22:32
In a few years time however the GTR will be verging on chav territory.

The 911 will still be a good car though.

Agreed, but have you seen the kind of guys that drive 911s? usually middle-age bores in chinos who think that driving a porsche is somehow going to compensate for being a pudgy aging Clarkson-eque bore.

Jeez you don't have to go far past psych 101 to detect the air of 'I've raised myself slightly above the rest of the pack and I want everyone to know it' emanating from the male 911 driver.

Talk about over-compensating.

gingerjedi
25th February 2010, 23:10
Talk about over-compensating.

Any middle age man who still gives a flying feck about what they drive is over-compensating for something.

At 39 I'm comfortable with the idea of driving a passat or a big blu volvo, but then I do have a massive cock.:smile

Churchill
25th February 2010, 23:45
Any middle age man who still gives a flying flip about what they drive is over-compensating for something.

At 39 I'm comfortable with the idea of driving a passat or a big blu volvo, but then I do have a massive cock.:smile

Of course you do.:smile

If you really did have you wouldn't feel the need to post the bollocks you did.

Churchill - In "Alan Parsons Project" mode!

gingerjedi
26th February 2010, 00:11
Of course you do.:smile

If you really did have you wouldn't feel the need to post the bollocks you did.

Churchill - In "Alan Parsons Project" mode!

I thought all ginger men had big knobs? It's gods compensation for the ridicule they have to endure.