• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sterling plunges as King warns on money scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sterling plunges as King warns on money scheme

Sterling fell sharply today after Mervyn King, the Governor of the Bank of England, warned that it may be necessary to continue the Bank’s asset purchase programme and pressed the Government to reveal its plans to reduce the country's record £178 billion deficit.

In his last appearance before MPs before the general election, Mr King outlined the political challenges facing the economy.

He said: “The crisis has left us facing many serious challenges. Among them are how to reform the international financial system, how to reduce our largest peacetime fiscal deficit, and how to restructure our banking and financial system to prevent another, more serious, crisis in future.

More: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle7037399.ece

------

That is good news because I am awaiting payment of a large placement fee in Euros
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Sterling didn't do great today, but no worse at the end of the day than it has done daily over recent weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        That is good news because I am awaiting payment of a large placement fee in Euros
        You are not going to keep it in euros in anticipation of future GBP falls?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          You are not going to keep it in euros in anticipation of future GBP falls?!?!
          When is Mervyn next due to speak? Sterling always drops straight afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            that's what I call loyalty to Queen and country
            "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

As long as interest rates stay low, I'll be happy...

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                that's what I call loyalty to Queen and country
                Surely it is very loyal thing to earn and then bring in hard currency into the country?

Comment

I get the impression that Mervyn and Gordon don't get on
                  Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                    I get the impression that Mervyn and Gordon don't get on
                    That could be classed as bullying...

Comment

Working...
                    X