• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New serious threat to Britain's finances

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New serious threat to Britain's finances

Business and taxpayers face £2bn bill under Brussels plans to give new mothers 18 weeks leave on full pay

Taxpayers and business owners will be forced to foot a £2billion a year bill if Brussels agrees to an overhaul of maternity pay today.

Business leader fears such a move would deal a serious blow to Britain's finances which are under intense pressure because of the fragile state of the economy.

Women would be given 18 weeks' statutory maternity leave at full pay. The aim of the changes is to bring into line the minimum statutory benefits of the 27 EU member states which vary markedly.

At present, British women have the right to take a year's leave but at a relatively low rate of pay.

Employed new mothers who meet the criteria are handed 90 per cent pay for the first six weeks off, followed by a further 33 weeks at, the lower of either the standard rate of £123.06, or 90 per cent of your average gross weekly earnings.

Experts fear the rate proposed by Brussels will cost the country a further £1.5bn to £2bn a year.

More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Brussels.html

-------------

FFS, only extra £2 bln per year, it's only bloody 18 weeks - 6-9 months would have been by far more appropriate, especially given such a low cost of doing so.

Sorry. Saw the headline and expected to find a picture of a Russian Oligarch stroking a squirrel.

"You expect me to talk? No Mr Bond, I expect you to read my posts!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxj2Cmk71lk
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Easy way around this one - don't employ women.

Simples.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
      X