• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Favourite coffee beans for home grind/brew

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite coffee beans for home grind/brew

Argh, we've run out of beans!

Previously, we've always had Whittards - whatever we liked the smell of in the shop, but I've been recommended Monmouth as being a good blend to try.

Anybody got any other recommendations/favourites?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Lidl do a rather fine gold blend strangely cheap.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Zapitista Coffee

fair trade and a great coffee
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Someone I know used to get bad piles on occasion. After a while, he worked out this only happened when he visited customer sites, and then narrowed it down to a day or two after a long motorway drive.

Eventually, he figured out the problem - Filter coffee in motorway cafes, the stuff that comes in the large beaker with a plunger. Once he stopped drinking that, the piles never returned.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Lovely story
          Interesting! I don't suffer myself, but what was causing it? The cofffee or the filthy cups? Did he get the same drinking coffee anywhere else?
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

To be slightly more specific, they do say that Jamaican Blue Mountain beans are one of the best.

Currently I'm using a Colombian blend from Waitrose, can't remember what beans they are.

er..Old bean

Comment

Someone I know used to get bad piles on occasion. After a while, he worked out this only happened when he visited customer sites, and then narrowed it down to a day or two after a long motorway drive.

Eventually, he figured out the problem - Filter coffee in motorway cafes, the stuff that comes in the large beaker with a plunger. Once he stopped drinking that, the piles never returned.
              Forgive my probing this area, but I thought that once you've got piles, you've got piles and that the only way to remove them was surgery?

Or am I wrong on this?

(Carte Noire, btw...)
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Forgive my probing this area, but I thought that once you've got piles, you've got piles and that the only way to remove them was surgery?

Or am I wrong on this?

(Carte Noire, btw...)
                To a degree, yes, once you have them, you have them for life but severity can vary.

Strong coffee can have a laxative effect and excessive bowel movements can aggravate piles if you already have them. That combined with long periods sat on your arse in the same place ( like a long motorway drive ) would cause them to flare up for a few days before calming down again.

-

I've tried loads of different beans, but to be honsest unless you have a *really* good machine it can be hard to tell the differance as a mediocre machine will make mediocre coffee regardless of the beans you use.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

Interesting! I don't suffer myself, but what was causing it? The cofffee or the filthy cups? Did he get the same drinking coffee anywhere else?
                  I'd guess it was the small grains inflaming his colon. After all, emptying one of those pots leaves a gritty residue. So presumably the finer grains end up suspended in the coffee (which also leaves a finer residue).

Also, I think he said that instant coffee never had the same effect, which I suppose tends to support the grain theory.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I'd guess it was the small grains inflaming his colon. After all, emptying one of those pots leaves a gritty residue. So presumably the finer grains end up suspended in the coffee (which also leaves a finer residue).

Also, I think he said that instant coffee never had the same effect, which I suppose tends to support the grain theory.
                    He's be better off with filter coffee.

I know that everybody is supposed to hate Starbuck's coffee, but I've always found their filter coffee to be very good (and cheaper than their Americano).
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X