• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where did you buy your first pint ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where did you buy your first pint ?

I mean out in a pub, not sneaking a gob full of double diamond behind the settee at your cousins wedding.

For EO - It was the Eden Vale in Bootle and I was sixteen, just left school afew weeks earlier, and I went in and pushed through the crowd and asked for 'two pints of beer'.
    The barmaid said 'mild ok' 'er.... yes'

and that was it. 1/6d each IIRC (about 8p) and I was pissed as a fart

In those days we had pounds shillings and pence. twenty shillings in a pound, twelve pennies in a shilling. One shilling and sixpence, one and a half shillings, was written like this
    1/6
    1s6d
    1/6d

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Birmingham Rugby Club, which later merged with Solihull, much to my distaste.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

The Swan Inn, Farnborough.

17 and 32p for a pint of bitter if I remember correctly.
      Last edited by Cliphead; 24 February 2010, 11:25.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

When I was sixteen, I'd been drinking in the Working Mens Club with my family for a year or so with others buying me pints. When I got to sixteen they started sending me to the bar with the money.

Pint of Best cost about 80p IIRC.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Yes but how old and how much did it cost ?

for any youngsters out there who dont know where the cockney ryhming slang 'Thruppeny bits' came from - 1.5 p

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I didn't drink pints I drank mixers first and it was at an Odeon Cinema in Saff London when I was 16.

I'm surprised that my mate and me didn't get IDed as we use to pay kiddie fares on the buses/trains/tube until we were 17 then we got a bit scared of the ticket inspectors so decided to be honest.

In fact the first time I was ID in a pub was when I was 19 even though it was a pub I had been going into since I was 16.

I only started drinking pints at 17 because you got more drink for your money.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I don't remember the first pint I bought, but it'll cost something like 12p in the late 70's.

However, for some reason I remember a time when I had come down from university and gone drinking with my dad. He was moaning because a round of two pints of Green King IPA had reached 50p.

Edit: Ah, it's coming back to me now. It was because we were in a different bar in town and it was a bit posh. His local would have been 45p or something.
              Last edited by HairyArsedBloke; 24 February 2010, 11:21.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

15 years old
                Cost me 95p
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Mine was a pint of Smithwicks (Vile stuff) - cost £2 I think - it was in a pub in Donaghamede. I had 3 pints and had to be carried home by my cousin. I was 16.
                  Bazza gets caught
                  Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                    Mine was a pint of Smithwicks (Vile stuff) - cost £2 I think - it was in a pub in Donaghamede. I had 3 pints and had to be carried home by my cousin. I was 16.
                    So your cousin got you pissed and took you home? I know those rural areas can be a bit inbred but didnt think it was that bad
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X