• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Making the switch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making the switch

Hi all,

I am considering making the switch from permanent to contract work and was after a bit of advice. My main motivation (surprisingly) is money. I want to go travelling at some point this year and want to build up some funds. I would probably carry on contract work on my return if all went well.

I am currently a PHP web developer which I have been doing for 2 years. Prior to that I was a software tester for 3 years. I also have a degree in Computer Science. Would you say there are jobs available for someone with my skill set?

I've noticed most contract jobs are looking for an immediate start. How have people dealt with switching over from a permanent position in the past? Obviously I'd have to give around 4 weeks notice with my current employer, and then, what, just take the risk of finding something towards the end of this I that can start straight away?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
    Tom

Guffaw!

edit: OK, maybe you are serious after all.

Resigning from a permie job now would be like jumping off the Lusitania in mid-Atlantic, and bobbing around in the water trying to attract the attention of the lookout on the Titanic.

HTH
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 24 February 2010, 15:15.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I was after some advice so if you cant help, please dont post.

Comment

Originally posted by pokeyz View Post

Believe me, that was advice.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

He's giving you good advice. The contract market is currently tulip so don't jump lightly. In normal times I'd advise you to just quit and something would always come along but at the moment................

Comment

I wouldn't say you are exactly brimming with experience and have you really researched the market and done some extensive reading on here (hint.. SEARCH BUTTON!!!!!)

Not quite as rosey as you think. Take note of the number of 'on the bench' posts from people with 20 years in the market
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
              He's giving you good advice. The contract market is currently tulip so don't jump lightly. In normal times I'd advise you to just quit and something would always come along but at the moment................
              Don't listen to them m8, they don't have any marketable skills.

I recently quit my permie job to go back contracting. Yes, it's taken a little longer and yes it is a tough market. But if you have the right price and the right skills it can be a good call.

But, contractors work on a WarChest basis. You will not normally get a sniff of a contract if you are in FT employment as agents will not consider you. If you are available then that means you are not earning and hence living off your warchest.

For a blind jump, I normally recommend 3 months money. In this market though. I would recommend 6 months just in case you are unlucky.

HTH
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

When you get used to this forum you will realise your mistake in which section you posted and the level of response you will get
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I saved up about 4 months of salary and then resigned after doing a bit of market research. Started in 2004 as the market for testers picked up after 2002/3. 4 months salary was only just enough as I had a 30 day payment agreement (effectively you’re paid for the first month after doing two months), and the day after I resigned the car broke down costing me 1600 euros in repairs.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X