• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you prepare for interviews?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you prepare for interviews?

I have a massive interview tomorrow. Big bucks, longterm, high profile role. Very high profile.

I've been doing a similar job perm for a few years, but this is the first pitch which is outside of my comfort zone and I mean way outside. It's going to be more about understanding the business and being able to handle senior stakeholders, very senior(£1M+) and then PM's that!

Spent four hours preparing so far. Going to do another 2, then a couple in the morning.

Is this excessive or do members actually prepare for contractors?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Is this excessive ?

A bit...
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

If it gets you the role then its worth it, best of luck

Comment

What was your asbergers score?
        Me, me, me...

Comment

I'd say you've identified the 2 areas which determine how much preparation I personally put in, which is a direct comparison with
          a) how much I want the role and
          b) how easily I think I'll handle it..

I guess c) would be how recently I've been doing interviews, since most PM questions that are raised in interviews have next to nothing to do with how you actually perform the role in question!

Good luck, let us know how you get on...
          Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Ravello View Post
            I'd say you've identified the 2 areas which determine how much preparation I personally put in, which is a direct comparison with
            a) how much I want the role and
            b) how easily I think I'll handle it..

I guess c) would be how recently I've been doing interviews, since most PM questions that are raised in interviews have next to nothing to do with how you actually perform the role in question!

Good luck, let us know how you get on...
            I've never failed an interview. It's a grand a day. I've never pitched for such a role. Does that count as D?
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

My preparation is usually a 5 minute glance at the company website, just so that I know what they do, followed by a quick google of the name of the person I'm supposed to be meeting.

I don't expect to be quizzed on the performance of their company over the past 5 years to prove that I've "done my homework"

I also know how to do my job so no need to revise that

I also know how to get the offer without answering a whole load of stupid questions.
              An interviewer will spend 95% of the interview looking for reasons to hire you or reasons not to hire you.
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                I also know how to do my job so no need to revise that

I also know how to get the offer without answering a whole load of stupid questions.
                An interview will spend 95% of the interview looking for reasons to hire you or reasons not to hire you.
                WHS
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Don't overdo the prep - keep yourself re-freshed, get a good nights sleep and you'll feel much more ready for the interview. Good luck !

Comment

Iron a shirt, make sure I have a clean suit, polish my shoes, shave and make myself look presentable. Make sure I don't need a pee and off we go, easy peasy.
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X