• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Here's a thought...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a thought...

With so many on the bench aren't Plan B's an attractive alternative?

I haven't been benched for a few years but when between contracts I always managed to avoid dipping into the warchest by using my skills in other ways.

Advertising PC fixes - loads of work sorting of virused and malware ridden PC's was always a good earner.

Learning new skills and pushing the boat out a bit by cold selling to local businesses and partly honing these skills 'on the job'. I'm doing Joomla and eCommerce sites when I have the time right now to keep the money coming in. No lack of work there despite the recession but you need a good portfolio that will impress prospective clients hence having my own server to tinker around with.

The real Plan B is ticking along and looks after itself but will need more time investment to move it to the next level just shortly so I've hired my first permie.

And do you always have to rely on agencies to find that next lucrative contract? For years now I've gone direct both to previous clients and by cold calling.
    Me, me, me...

There's an app for that...
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      There's an app for that...
      For all of that? No multitasking remember
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        For all of that? No multitasking remember
        Purchase multiple iPads - simples
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Purchase multiple iPads - simples
          With multitouch you better be good with yer feet as well
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            With multitouch you better be good with yer feet as well
            He's such a clever dick!

Comment

You want to watch me use iPad no. 5 sometimes...

Comment

You want to watch me use iPad no. 5 sometimes...
                Perhaps not.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                X