• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Congestion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congestion

Ohhhh new toy so much scope with one of these.

Opps title was due to read Congestion Beater but had a keyboard incident (Dropped the dictionary on it)
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    Ohhhh new toy so much scope with one of these.

Opps title was due to read Congestion Beater but had a keyboard incident (Dropped the dictionary on it)
    I've got terrible congestion this morning, the antibiotics haven't kicked in yet.

Comment

Flying into the future: New Zealand company to make personal jet packs

Martin Aircraft Company, in Christchurch, New Zealand, aims to make 500 packs a year which will sell for around £50,000.
      The 200 horsepower dual-propeller packs are the brainchild of inventor Glenn Martin who unveiled his machine for the first time in July last year.
      Not really jet packs then are they?!
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Although it says "does not require private pilots licence", I'm sure the CAA/JAA would not find it amusing people swanning around at 5,000ft over Heathrow and Gatwick in the TMA.

Also, not sure I would like to be flying at altitude and experience the instability caused by one engine failure or worse, dual failure due to electrical/fuel problems.

In a helo, you can autorotate by dumping the collective (Churchill?) and in a light a/c you can glide.

This thing will plummet faster to the ground than a Geordie lasses knickers on being offered a tray of chips.
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
          Although it says "does not require private pilots licence", I'm sure the CAA/JAA would not find it amusing people swanning around at 5,000ft over Heathrow and Gatwick in the TMA.

Also, not sure I would like to be flying at altitude and experience the instability caused by one engine failure or worse, dual failure due to electrical/fuel problems.

In a helo, you can autorotate by dumping the collective (Churchill?) and in a light a/c you can glide.

This thing will plummet faster to the ground than a Geordie lasses knickers on being offered a tray of chips.
          I was worried for a second, hyperD. This is a very serious post.

Thankfully normal service was resumed when I read your last sentence.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

And recent tests have seen the newest model reach heights of up to 2,400 metres and top speeds of 60mph.
            Just had a looksie at the design, crunched some numbers, and yes, dropping from 2400 m the peak terminal velocity will be about 60 mph*.

(*depends on tumble mode obviously)
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Can you imagine getting a bird-strike in yer doo-dah in one of those

doesn't bear thinking about

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

somehow i just cant see this idea taking off

(gets coat and exits stage left)

Comment

With 115Kg strapped to your back, terminal height (in the event the engines fail) won't be all that high. It's hardly a new invention.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
                    I was worried for a second, hyperD. This is a very serious post.

Thankfully normal service was resumed when I read your last sentence.

I actually will amend my above comment after finding more info on this here on their website.

It appears to have some safety features: kevlar roll cage and a ballistic parachute.

Although there will be a performance envelope where these will be effective: i.e. parachute not particularly useful close to the ground and a rollcage not particularly useful in a 60mph impact.

And it refers to not requiring an FAA (USA) licence rather than a UK one.

Also appears to be fairly stable with CoPs and CoGs and there is a mandatory training course before purchase along the lines of the FAA Ultralight Regs.

So, probably good fun to use but I can see the HSE Orcs and Misery Quangos and the army of fake charities full of bitter ugly women associating this with the dangers of smoking and drinking and banning it or taxing it into oblivion.

Still, imagine you and a load of your mates buying them, flying in formation with Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries blasting out, divebombing the nearest Labour party office throwing bars of soap at them (without the gasoline) and shouting: "I love the smell of a frothing Marxist in the morning. It reminds me of victory".
                    Last edited by hyperD; 25 February 2010, 12:38.
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X