• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK Soft Touch confirmed by European Courts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK Soft Touch confirmed by European Courts

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8535625.stm

No entitlement to be here but we still have to pay. Great Plan B possibilities.
    Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
    "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Just expel the kids from school, problem solved...
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Never let facts get in the way of a good story

The Appeal court in London sent the case straight to Luxembourg instead of ruling on it themselves.

And the ruling is for other EU citizens i.e. those from Poland, Portugal, France not those from countries outside the EU i.e. Somalia, India, Australia. Hence the headlines for the story are wrong.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

The Appeal court in London sent the case straight to Luxembourg instead of ruling on it themselves.

And the ruling is for other EU citizens i.e. those from Poland, Portugal, France not those from countries outside the EU i.e. Somalia, India, Australia. Hence the headlines for the story are wrong.
        So i guess we send the CSA over to Denmark then?
        Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
        "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

I thought the story was pretty clear.

Woman comes to london to be with husband, who works for 5 months. Stops working, claims incapacity, fcks off to Denmark when it runs out and leaves her here, and you (hehe) the UK taxpayers get to pick up the bill for someone who's not a UK national (Or her kids) and has never in her life contributed a penny to the UK economy.

Now I'm a bit of a lefty (Shock horror), but ffs even I can see that's just not right.
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
            I thought the story was pretty clear.

Woman comes to london to be with husband, who works for 5 months. Stops working, claims incapacity, fcks off to Denmark when it runs out and leaves her here, and you (hehe) the UK taxpayers get to pick up the bill for someone who's not a UK national (Or her kids) and has never in her life contributed a penny to the UK economy.

Now I'm a bit of a lefty (Shock horror), but ffs even I can see that's just not right.
            The headlines wouldn't sound so good if it was Danish Benefit scrounger.

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
              So i guess we send the CSA over to Denmark then?
              In theory yes.

Shame we can't send the entire family back to Denmark as well. After all living standards are much better in Denmark than in the UK.........

Comment

The headlines wouldn't sound so good if it was Danish Benefit scrounger.
                I'd still think it was wrong for someone who's never worked in this country to get benefits paid for by us.

Or at least have their EU country of residence contribute towards the benefits (Like NZ does for kiwis in Australia)
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
                X