• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Early April Fools joke had me in stitches.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early April Fools joke had me in stitches.

BBC’s IT contractors urged to strike - see CUK news today.

Of course, it was written like it was serious, but I was onto it before the end of the first paragraph. Can you imagine? NO, OF COURSE NOT!

Then laugh! I SAID LAUGH. It can ONLY be a joke.

Or am I the only contractor left? You've all been..... taken?
    When you encounter speed humps, sound your horn in protest.

Nurse...
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Good grief, he's right too.

Siemens and Red Bee Media between them run much of the BBC's IT.

When contracting at the Beeb I sometimes wondered how one should deal with a strike, i.e. whether to turn up or not. Anyone been in this situation as a contractor?
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Good grief, he's right too.

Siemens and Red Bee Media between them run much of the BBC's IT.

When contracting at the Beeb I sometimes wondered how one should deal with a strike, i.e. whether to turn up or not. Anyone been in this situation as a contractor?
        Surely a strike is when you have an issue with your employer. I've never had an issue with mine as I'm great to me.

Just go in an bill as normal
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
          Surely a strike is when you have an issue with your employer. I've never had an issue with mine as I'm great to me.

Just go in an bill as normal
          WHS

Contractor's value is confirmed in this kind of a situation (on both sides )

Just make sure you don't wear your best suit on those occasions...
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I'm not. I pay myself peanuts

Comment

Surely a strike is when you have an issue with your employer. I've never had an issue with mine as I'm great to me. ...
              For Pete's sake, I'm not _that_ stupid!

I meant what if you are contracting at a client site and all the permies walk out. Do you black-leg it and carry on, or (reluctantly) not turn up yourself?

edit: I guess everyone will say it's obvious you carry on; but what if the client would rather you didn't, for one reason or another?
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

For Pete's sake, I'm not _that_ stupid!

I meant what if you are contracting at a client site and all the permies walk out. Do you black-leg it and carry on, or (reluctantly) not turn up yourself?
                And what happens if your work becomes impossible due to the lazy flippers walking out? Would you carry on billing for doing nothing or just kick the tulip out of them for costing you money?

Comment

When I was contracting at Companies House they had a few strikes over pensions. I just walked through the picket line as it's not my battle. And time is money.

Comment

edit: I guess everyone will say it's obvious you carry on; but what if the client would rather you didn't, for one reason or another?
                    If the client would rather I'm not at their premises, then I won't be. Whatever they wish, they're paying for my time.

But contractors voting to strike like they belong to some kind of contractors union or something (as per that news story). I'm horrified.

Xenophon, can you call the nurse again...
                    When you encounter speed humps, sound your horn in protest.

Comment

Working...
                    X