• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile Recycling Firms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile Recycling Firms

Edited: I removed the specific reference to the company to keep some folk happy

Probably not news to many, but I just cashed in a couple of phones that I no longer required with a mobile recycler, part of a larger mobile recycler. I'm not the type to keep spare valuable phones in drawers for years to come, but was pleasantly surprised that I got what I paid for them from ebay a year ago!

Got £122 each for each N95 8GB. This phone seems to be valued above even more expensive and newer phones like the Nokia N96 and N85, if anybody knows why please let me know. I just used them for emails and the odd Fring call whilst abroad recently, but was under the impression it was just another chunky Nokia smartphone.

These Mazuma/Envirofone places seem to offer more money when they pay in Argos vouchers. £122 cash (within a few days) in my case per phone versus £134 each in Argos vouchers. I don't really use Argos though so just settled for the cash.

They send a padded envelope, but it's pathetic, so add your own bubblewrap. Also, they only want the phone and bettery, the accessories are not mandatory and do not gain you any extra cash, so keep them if you think they'll be useful. If you've got a few old phones kicking around, working or otherwise, probably worth sending them in. If they're of high value special delivery is recommended.

They claim environmental responsibility, redistribution and fixing up of phones into emerging markets, but I imagine handsets older than 5 years are thrown into a skip, which would seem daft if they are operational.

I'm still using a 7 year old tiny Nokia 6100 so gave up on the smartphone nonsense a long time ago, given workplaces usually provide a massive smartphone anyways.
    Last edited by larson; 25 February 2010, 17:27.

Originally posted by larson View Post
    I'm still using a 7 year old tiny Nokia 6100 so gave up on the smartphone nonsense a long time ago, given workplaces usually provide a massive smartphone anyways.
    Interesting. I avoid being offered a phone by a client for IR35 and the like. I know it's not a deal breaker before anyone snaps my head off but as it's such a wooly area every little helps in my book.

Anyone else any opinions on asking for kit from clients when they don't need it?

Oh and on the N95 a couple of my friends had them and swore they were the bees knees at the time and can still cut it if you want user friendly phone that does what it says it will with no messing. Guess the price stays high due to good reputation.

I checked a Treo 750 and they are offering 16 quid.. Thats just ridiculous. Ok it's an oldish phone but still more than capable...
    Last edited by northernladuk; 25 February 2010, 16:38.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've just got a brand spanking new Nokia 1202.... is that a smartfone??

Comment

Probably not news to many, but I just cashed in a couple of phones that I no longer required with cashinmyfone, who are part of envirofone. I'm not the type to keep spare valuable phones in drawers for years to come, but was pleasantly surprised that I got what I paid for them from ebay a year ago!

Got £122 each for each N95 8GB. This phone seems to be valued above even more expensive and newer phones like the Nokia N96 and N85, if anybody knows why please let me know. I just used them for emails and the odd Fring call whilst abroad recently, but was under the impression it was just another chunky Nokia smartphone.

These Mazuma/Envirofone places seem to offer more money when they pay in Argos vouchers. £122 cash (within a few days) in my case per phone versus £134 each in Argos vouchers. I don't really use Argos though so just settled for the cash.

They send a padded envelope, but it's pathetic, so add your own bubblewrap. Also, they only want the phone and bettery, the accessories are not mandatory and do not gain you any extra cash, so keep them if you think they'll be useful. If you've got a few old phones kicking around, working or otherwise, probably worth sending them in. If they're of high value special delivery is recommended.

They claim environmental responsibility, redistribution and fixing up of phones into emerging markets, but I imagine handsets older than 5 years are thrown into a skip, which would seem daft if they are operational.

How much are you being paid to write this spiel?

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
          WONGA!
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Nothing directly, but £244 indirectly If you search about the various people offering this service some offer more than others, so obviously go with the highest if they seem kosher.

There are a few TV advertised mobile recyclers, but seem to be about twenty providers if you do a quick online search. Heard a few horror stories, so just thought I'd mention. Hardly recommending the company I used, there are plenty of others with reviews.

I was mainly posting because although most phones get crap (in my opinion) prices with these recycling places compared to ebaying it, in my case they seemed to pay more than ebay.

Clearly a market for my particular phone, I guess it's more robust than Nokias latest offerings.

Given the amount of time I spend at a laptop a smartphone is not required by me anymore, and carrying about a small crap phone is actually good for avoiding the "Can you respond to this email now please? Even though it's 1am and you're out in town?" nonsense some companies give.

I'll be sticking with my old phone and cheap SIM-only deal, wouldn't take a smartphone on a contract, as excluding my previous purchase the phones seem far too easily damaged, and have their limitations as all-singing-dancing devices. I'll stick with music on-the-go rather than some random tosser who is poking me - yes, in the unacceptable way - on facebook.

In a permanent role would take the phone as it's part of the deal really, although do let the company know as a courtesy I'm convienantly absailing (every weekend? wow...) at the weekend so it will be switched off most of the time when outside the office.

Comment

I#ve still got one of these and one of these - which was really cool when it came out. Reckon I'll get, ooh, at least 10p for the both of them

This is the first mobile phone I bought back in the 80's which was quite radical for its time as everyone had those huge brick like things. Used to get the train home from the city, dressed in jeans and t-shirt whereas everyone had suits on, pull this little thing out and ring the pub to order the beers and wind up the city boys. The joys of being a contractor in the 80's and getting that weekly check
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Nothing directly, but £244 indirectly If you search about the various people offering this service some offer more than others, so obviously go with the highest if they seem kosher.

There are a few TV advertised mobile recyclers, but seem to be about twenty providers if you do a quick online search. Heard a few horror stories, so just thought I'd mention. Hardly recommending the company I used, there are plenty of others with reviews.

I was mainly posting because although most phones get crap (in my opinion) prices with these recycling places compared to ebaying it, in my case they seemed to pay more than ebay.

Clearly a market for my particular phone, I guess it's more robust than Nokias latest offerings.

Given the amount of time I spend at a laptop a smartphone is not required by me anymore, and carrying about a small crap phone is actually good for avoiding the "Can you respond to this email now please? Even though it's 1am and you're out in town?" nonsense some companies give.

I'll be sticking with my old phone and cheap SIM-only deal, wouldn't take a smartphone on a contract, as excluding my previous purchase the phones seem far too easily damaged, and have their limitations as all-singing-dancing devices. I'll stick with music on-the-go rather than some random tosser who is poking me - yes, in the unacceptable way - on facebook.

In a permanent role would take the phone as it's part of the deal really, although do let the company know as a courtesy I'm convienantly absailing (every weekend? wow...) at the weekend so it will be switched off most of the time when outside the office.
                Great.

Can you also provide in depth details of the broadband deal your currently on.

Comment

Great.

Can you also provide in depth details of the broadband deal your currently on.
                  What I wrote was hardly 'in-depth'....someone mentioned IR35, so I mentioned how I avoid taking a phone whilst contracitng, but if permanent take one, and explained why.

I will provide a detailed overview of my sock choice tomorrow, however, so stay tuned. Could get a wee forum SMS text vote on the go... yellow or black? YOU DECIDE!

Comment

I got rid of my old mobile phones just before Christmas.

Got Argos vouchers for one of them.

The other phone was really old but managed to get £17 in download music vouchers from a different company.

And like larson I found the envelopes they provided tulipe. I wrapped my both phones in bubble wrap and one I also put in a sandwich bag (shows you how tulipe the envelope was).

Some of the companies have a bad reputation so if the phone is expensive send it in by recorded delivery.

You can use this website to check who will give you the most value - http://mobilevaluer.com/
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X