• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will today be the day that Gordon Brown calls the General Election?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will today be the day that Gordon Brown calls the General Election?

Guido has reported that BBC political journalists have been told not to go on holiday this weekend. http://order-order.com/. He's been wrong before, Gordon has bottled it before.

Latest polls show Conservative lead declining. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/elec...oll-shows.html

The first revision to the 2009q4 GDP figures are due today. I assume that the Treasury already knows the numbers. They may show the economy is recovering better than previously thought.

Could today be the day that the election is called? I can't stand the tension!

Poll to follow.
    Yes. His advisers tell him now is the time.
    15.38%
    No. There is still another two months of limbo to endure.
    65.38%
    Andyw has not yet decided.
    19.23%

The poll is expired.

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    Poll to follow.
    Hurry up, it better not be 5th of May!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Hurry up, it better not be 5th of May!!!
      It won't.

Elections are always on a Thursday in the UK. May 6th has been favoured as the most likely date for a while now but we are just waiting to see if Gordon will seize the inititive.
      Last edited by Gonzo; 26 February 2010, 00:35. Reason: I had forgotten for a moment that I am not in the UK any more.

Comment

Breaking news. Apparently there is a fleet of limos circling Parliament Square as we speak (like last time).

No doubt McBunker is holed up, gnawing his fingernails to the quick, wondering if he dare go for it.

Watch this space ...
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

edit: You forgot the option:

"No. Brown is an abject coward, and won't dare calling an election until the last possible moment."
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            edit: You forgot the option:

"No. Brown is an abject coward, and won't dare calling an election until the last possible moment."
            I thought that goes without saying and was covered by the "no" option.

I am sure that by now he has abandoned taking any responsibility himself and is relying on advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
              It won't.

Elections are always on a Thursday in the UK. May 6th has been favoured as the most likely date for a while now but we are just waiting to see if Gordon will seize the inititive.
              5th of May 2011 is on Thursday!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                5th of May 2011 is on Thursday!
                If Gordon can delay the election until 5th May 2011 you lot are all in far more serious tulipe than you realise.

Comment

I'd love Brown to call it but I fear that he'll try to hang on like an inveterate gambler, believing that with the next roll of the dice he'll win big thus being able to show his skill in "saving the world". Delusional doesn't begin to describe him.

Many here would (be right to) accuse me of being the pot calling the kettle black when it talks to the issue of being delusional: the difference being I'm not in charge of the governance and financial lives of ~60m people - nor do I have access to the ability to launch nukes.

Comment

Interesting comment in the Telegraph today:
                    For the good of the country people should vote Labour. Then it will be the true guilty ones in charge when the economy collapses.

The Labour party will be driven out of office and into extinction. Those that have led the party and their major supporters should face trial for treason. The punishment should be capital in nature.
                    Only when that has happened can the country be rebuilt for the long-term.

HAB
                    on February 25, 2010
                    at 08:37 PM

Comment

Working...
                    X