• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Payment Arrears

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency Payment Arrears

Quick question.

How hard do you push when negotiating your contract on the agency arrears for payments?

I have been complaining to the agent this week about their 21 day arrears and am pushing them for a 14 day arrears at the most. Am slightly nervous they might pull the rug from under me on this contract but not sure how far I can take it before they get really annoyed at me.

I really don't know why I can negotiate for others on tenders etc but for myself I struggle.

Thanks

I always insist on 7 days. Be prepared to walk if you don't get your way. That's the only way. If you're in any doubt, they have the upper hand.

Comment

7 days is the preference but it works out well for them if they sit on the cash for as long as possible.

First conversation was we will pay monthly with 21 days arrears. Then went to weekly with 21 days arrears. I keep pointing out that there is no difference!

I think 21 days is too high. What if they go into administration?!? Am going to call her again once I am off this conference call as have emailed her and she is ignoring it so far.

Comment

Have they been paying on time? If no, your exposure is higher, but do you want to walk away in this tough market?

But, if they have a history of late payments, then try hard to push it down (if they pay late, does 14 and 21 days make any difference ;-) ) or include a clause that gives you an option of immediate termination in case they do not pay on time.

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
        Quick question.

How hard do you push when negotiating your contract on the agency arrears for payments?

I have been complaining to the agent this week about their 21 day arrears and am pushing them for a 14 day arrears at the most. Am slightly nervous they might pull the rug from under me on this contract but not sure how far I can take it before they get really annoyed at me.

I really don't know why I can negotiate for others on tenders etc but for myself I struggle.

Thanks

Comment

I think 21 days is too high. What if they go into administration?!?
          Exactely. They might also say that's how the client pays us, but again, this is not your concern. If it means that much to you, then stick it out. But if you can't affoard to walk away, then be prepared to take whatever they offer.

How long before you start? If you threaten to walk away with days to go, it plays into your hands....

Best of luck.

Comment

Meant to start on the 8th and have to give 5 days notice with the current client co. Am hanging onto the current contract in case.

Will see how it goes. Already gone through the credit checks and they are half way through the reference checks too.

Need to decide if I am prepared to walk before I make the call.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Hiya Hawkeye. I'd guess you are not thinking of yourself as a business as you do when hiring (and making mincemeat of agents ). 21 day terms are a risk to your business and the agent will understand this (but won't tell you that).
              I'd just keep saying the same thing and point to a couple of recent examples where agencies have gone out of business.

Best of luck
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I need to snap out of it and just go for it. I think she knows exactly where I am coming from on this. Just trying to reduce my risk slightly.

Comment

I need to snap out of it and just go for it. I think she knows exactly where I am coming from on this. Just trying to reduce my risk slightly.
                  I am certain she knows exactly where you are coming from.... she wants you to bear the risk - end of. What she wants and what she is prepared to settle on is very different.

You "want" to be paid instantly with no risk at all........ but you won't get it
                  They "want" you to take all the risk and only pay you after they have been paid (and taken their cut, plus any interest they can squeeze)....

Its just risk balancing and negotiation..... good luck

Comment

One of the methods of focussing the minds here - that might certainly focus minds - is to tell them that your rate is based on being paid in n days: they're welcome to pay you in n days +n but if they do then your rate increases by a proportional amount.

If you tell them that if they want you they'll have to reduce their margin to get you to share the risk then they're more likely to be amenable to it. The alternate would be if they then said "OK we'll pay you in two days" - you might be bounced into a minor pay rate reduction.

Comment

Working...
                    X