• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Both parties are trying to 'lose' in a hung parliament

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both parties are trying to 'lose' in a hung parliament

I think we have a strange situation where both major parties are trying to 'lose' the election and be the second largest party in a hung parliament. This is how it will work:
    1. General election results in no overall majority.
    2. PM comes from the largest minority party.
    3. Leader of opposition comes from second largest party.
    4. Economy goes tits up, as we know it will because HMG have thrown everything at boosting the 2009 Q4 figures (e.g. £2000 for bangers, lower VAT, Quantative Easing) and have little ammunition left.
    5. Dreaded vote of confidence at a time of the opposition's choosing, say, after a year or so of bad news, to ensure the public have noticed who was in charge.
    6. Minority party loses the vote of no confidence because most of the other parties vote against them.
    7. New general election.
    8. PM's minority party gets the blame for the bad news.
    9. Second largest party gets in with a majority, and with a new and very public mandate to try and clear up the other party's mess.

Now imagine if the Tories formed that minority party - Labour would be back in within a year or two with a fresh start...

Ya know, I've heard someone else say this.........
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      Naaah you read it in the Telegraph
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Actually, in a hung parliament the sitting PM remains in post until it is proven that someone else can form a workable majority, alone or in partnership with another party. We don't lose Gay Gorgon just becuiase he lost the election - which is a bit of a depressing thought...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
          Naaah you read it in the Telegraph
          Maybe they read it on HAB's bog.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            I think we have a strange situation where both major parties are trying to 'lose' the election and be the second largest party in a hung parliament. This is how it will work:

:::
            Rationally, maybe yes. But aren't you overlooking a few things? McDoom's ego, his delusional state, and his seething ambition, all of which are the size of barrage balloons.

He probably really thinks he can win this election now, and given that his whole being is about power he can't bear the thought of anything less.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Rationally, maybe yes. But aren't you overlooking a few things? McDoom's ego, his delusional state, and his seething ambition, all of which are the size of barrage balloons.

He probably really thinks he can win this election now, and given that his whole being is about power he can't bear the thought of anything less.
              WHS.

With bells on.

Comment

Don't these revised figures now make the Tories' "Swingeing Cuts" stategy more viable now? I thought their policies were devised on the basis of us having better growth than the original 1%. Funny how the Telegraph is reporting today's figures as being a boost to Brown. Would have thought the Tories position would have been strengthened too.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post

Actrually I also said it a while ago about the tories, but the point this time is I haven't seen anyone say it about both parties. Apologies if they have.

I never considered that Brown would try and engineer a tory minority government, but it makes sense for him.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

I'm not so sure. He's a serial ditherer. If he'd had any bottle he would have called an election in 2007, and won it.

Comment

Working...
                    X