• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Open University

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open University

Seems there are a few of us here doing OU courses at the moment.

I'm in the first year of a Law degree as part of the grand plan to get out of IT.

Whats everyone else up to and how are you finding it so far?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

I've done a few courses. Did a postgrad Project Management years ago (1995) then nothing for years. Then over a few summers did three of the 10 point short courses (Creative Writing, Leonardo Da Vinci and Shakespeare), and decided it was time to commit. First full length course was AA100 - The Arts past and present last year along with the Art History summer school, and currently doing A207 - 'From Enlightenment to Romanticism' which I'm enjoying, but is a lot more work than the level 1 course. It's art history I'm enjoying most, so the level 2 art history course is next on my list, then the two level 3 art history courses to finish off if I ever get that far.

Doing it for interest - completely neglected the humanities subjects at school, but have been pleasantly surprised in that the skills of analysis carry over well. It would be nice to get a degree out the end of it (I never did one first time round), but that will be an added bonus and I'm only doing it as long as I enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

I'm in the first year of a Law degree as part of the grand plan to get out of IT.

Out of interest, what age are you?

I'll be out of IT and retired by 45, so no plans to retrain!!!

Comment

I was thinking about doing a Computing Science and Mathmatics degree through them (started one when i left school but i dropped out due to having too much of a good time and not turning up). With a veiw to doing a masters and maybes teaching when I'm older and sick of IT.

Was interested in how much of an impact it has on your life, is it like a couple of hours a during the working week then 8-10 at the weekend, assuming you're going to complete the degree within 4 to 5 years?

Comment

Advanced Pot Noodling: http://5z8.info/yourdick_e0n6z_back-to-africa
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
            Out of interest, what age are you?

I'll be out of IT and retired by 45, so no plans to retrain!!!
            41 and not retiring just yet

Originally posted by the_duderama View Post
            I was thinking about doing a Computing Science and Mathmatics degree through them (started one when i left school but i dropped out due to having too much of a good time and not turning up). With a veiw to doing a masters and maybes teaching when I'm older and sick of IT.

Was interested in how much of an impact it has on your life, is it like a couple of hours a during the working week then 8-10 at the weekend, assuming you're going to complete the degree within 4 to 5 years?
            For the basic intro courses you are looking at 5-6 hours a week, for the Degree level stuff 16-20 depending on the course and how much effort you put in. The Law course I am on atm ( W100 Rules Rights and Justice ) recommends 16 hours a week but I'm getting away with a lot less than that so far. I expect it to ramp up as the course goes on.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

What are you planning to do with a Law degree? I've got one, and all it means is that you have to complete a year of the Legal Practice Course which costs around 5K - then IF your lucky enough to secure a training contract with a Law firm - another 2 years on terrible money and a lot of slog before you qualify.
              The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven

Comment

For the basic intro courses you are looking at 5-6 hours a week, for the Degree level stuff 16-20 depending on the course and how much effort you put in. The Law course I am on atm ( W100 Rules Rights and Justice ) recommends 16 hours a week but I'm getting away with a lot less than that so far. I expect it to ramp up as the course goes on.
                Cool - thanks, sounds pretty doable! I'm doing a similair amount of work at the moment with certifications, at least the degree will still be usefull 5 years later!

Comment

41 and not retiring just yet

I wonder how ageist your new profession will be. I doubt you'd have a major IT carreer if you went to uni age 41, grad 45, and was a newbie at 46/47? At 37 I'm now forced into more senior roles, even though I'd still prefer to p*ss about! (er more than I do).

Perhaps law is different, and age envokes wisdom etc???

Comment

Originally posted by ookook View Post
                    What are you planning to do with a Law degree? I've got one, and all it means is that you have to complete a year of the Legal Practice Course which costs around 5K - then IF your lucky enough to secure a training contract with a Law firm - another 2 years on terrible money and a lot of slog before you qualify.
                    I kinda agree - whats the point starting at the bottom someplace else?

Is it called a conversion course or something? the bit you do after your degree before you go into practice?
                    Bazza gets caught
                    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                    X