• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pessimists need not apply....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pessimists need not apply....

What skill/certification is achievable in say ten weeks boot camp or self study that should get some work at the end of the invested time/ money???? given the market...

Originally posted by rz6bm7 View Post
    What skill/certification is achievable in say ten weeks boot camp or self study that should get some work at the end of the invested time/ money???? given the market...
    Whore

Comment

http://www.armyjobs.mod.uk/armylife/...rTraining.aspx

It's a bit more than 10 weeks though.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Coversational Urdu
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Any skill/certification that cannot be taken by someone in India.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Any skill/certification that cannot be taken by someone in India.

HTH
            Exactly, Bob would be an 'expert' in two weeks.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I like the positive responses but aside from selling my body or going to Afghanistan what is viable for imminent project work (in the eternal hope someone will spend some money somewhere, soon)

Comment

I like the positive responses but aside from selling my body or going to Afghanistan what is viable for imminent project work (in the eternal hope someone will spend some money somewhere, soon)
                No where. There's experienced people in every sector out of work. Whoring, always appreciates new over old. Therefore I made a valid response.

Comment

Seeing I'm in a good mood and you seem like a nice person, I'll give you my opinion on what would be the best boot camp certification.

1. Sharepoint

Very popular at the moment with lots of clients.

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ation_path.pdf

You need to get to the top of the cert chart to make any sort of impact.

2. MS SQL Server 2008 - Microsoft Certified Master (MCM)

DBA's tend to be onsite and less affected by outsourcing (although the Indian ICT brigade are your enemy).

Do the latest SQL 2008 certs including all the data mining, BI, analysis services stuff.

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...th_MCM_MCA.pdf

Lots of work to reach the top.

HTH
                  Last edited by DimPrawn; 26 February 2010, 16:11.

Comment

Cheers DP - leads me to extend the question = do you think give the time frame that it is possible to achieve usable skills or just the paperwork to get my foot through the door of a reasonable contract??
                    And is there enough life in the skill for it to pay e.g. will it die as a skill in six months or is it reasonable to take it as a skill and transfer it into open source e.g. MYSQL etc (given how usefull my old MCSE was in the 'real world')

Jeeb - your very right, I was looking at getting back to being 'hands on' I guess it's always a question of rates and sustainability..

Comment

Working...
                    X