• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Warning!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning!

"Your computer is now running on UPS backup battery power. Save your documents and shut down soon."

That's the 2nd time this week we've had one of those 2 second power cuts... must be ice or something sudden high load on the line.

Not to mention it's freezing, I know the weather forecast said around 2 degree, feels like -10 if you ask me.

Winter is just beginning....
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    "Your computer is now running on UPS backup battery power. Save your documents and shut down soon."
    Isn't there an app for that?
    Me, me, me...

Comment

At least you know that your UPS will keep you running during a power outage, thats more than many companies can say.

PZZ

Comment

Once upon a time I was working for a well known telecoms company on the Cambridge science park. They had regular power cuts because the mains supply to the entire park was worse than pathetic.

So I bought one of them new fangled lap-top things and could keep going, 'cause it had a battery in it.

A manager complained about my doing work when no one else could and insisted I take it home and didn't bring it on site again.

Eventually the higher ups got fed up and shut the site down and shipped it all to Finland. They took most of the staff like me, too but oddly enough they left the managers behind. Don't know why.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

All worship the power of the UPS!

I had a deadline for an USA client a few weeks ago and the power went down. Not for the usual 10 mins but a whole 2 hours.

In the end had shut everything down apart from one server, one 19" LCD screen and one workstation. Just made it as well and the UPS was still going after 90 mins.

APC
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Get one of those CULV laptops with 8+ hours batteries - use UPS to support ADSL/cable modem - sorted.

Comment

A 2 hour power cut this morning.. I was down to the last 18 minutes of available power before the mains came back on.

The energy crisis is here people...
              or is it something to do with the 5 inches of snow sitting on the car outside....
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Always reminds me of a time when I worked for Sony and they had a power cut.

When the power went down so did all the dev's machines, however thier monitors staying on displaying various lost signal images. Some numpty had got the UPS wires mixed up and plugged them into the monitors, not the base units.

Even more amusing is that they had only got them mixed up for the devs, everybody else was fine...

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  The energy crisis is here people...
                  You mean in Scotland? Just means more power available for England where it's relatively warm and the power works fine.

I had a half hour power cut a few weeks ago. I was grateful for my laptop, until I realised there was no power to the router for the internet. Is it possible to get a mini-UPS just to power a router? It can't need much.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    You mean in Scotland? Just means more power available for England where it's relatively warm and the power works fine.

I had a half hour power cut a few weeks ago. I was grateful for my laptop, until I realised there was no power to the router for the internet. Is it possible to get a mini-UPS just to power a router? It can't need much.
                    I think a router would be ~25W or something, not sure, but the bottom end of the range of UPS should suffice - I'm not affiliated at all with APC but just looking on their website here shows a small battery unit - check the graph.

My very first Belkin(?) UPS was the size of a brick and could keep an old PC going for 10 mins or so.
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X