• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why Are People Keen To Get Out Of IT?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Are People Keen To Get Out Of IT?

I just wonder - I ve seen a number of posts stating that people are thinking of doing an OU degree in Law etc after doing a number of year contracting....

What is it in particular about IT that people dislike and think that a career elsewhere would benefit them?

The fact that it is doomed? Perhaps things will change for the better with a change of government.

Comment

I'm only in IT because successive governments have been toiling to eradicate all traces of manufacturing from the UK. IT wasn't my initial career choice so, apart from the £££, I have no love for IT.

I like to be out and about working with physical things, not sitting in an office staring at a screen so if the £££ goes from IT work, I would rather do something else.

I guess others are looking at alternative lucrative careers such as law because they are only in IT for the money, not for the love of the job. The question is - what happens when Bob gets in on the act and the a*se falls out of the law market? I can't think of any career that is safe - except perhaps politics.

Al.
      Back at the coal face

Comment

Originally posted by al_cam View Post
        I like to be out and about working with physical things, not sitting in an office staring at a screen so if the £££ goes from IT work, I would rather do something else.
        You can become a house builder or plumber...

Comment

Probably something to do with the realisation that IT is a bit of a fad and is now exhibiting many parallels to those who work in maintenance...

The party is over move on...
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            You can become a house builder or plumber...
            Thought of that - I have even done some kitchen fitting before I started IT contracting. Quite enjoyed it but pay not as good as IT.

Plumbing is quite literally a sh*t job - even a heating engineer is a boring job.
            I looked seriously at becoming an electrician a few years back but couldn't just go on a course and sit the exams - I had to do it as part of an apprenticeship - i.e. floor sweeper. Annoying as I know more about electrics than 99% of electricians.
            Besides, the Eastern Europeans are killing the market, and it is only a matter of time before the big builders start bringing Bob in on ICT's because of a "skills shortage".

Al.
            Back at the coal face

Comment

Originally posted by al_cam View Post
              I guess others are looking at alternative lucrative careers such as law because they are only in IT for the money, not for the love of the job. The question is - what happens when Bob gets in on the act and the a*se falls out of the law market? I can't think of any career that is safe - except perhaps politics.
              The grass is always greener...

I know a few people in different areas of law, such as tax, recovery, and they often put in full weekend shifts, ridiculous 48 hour stints in the office, and are generally treated quite badly. They presumably stick at it as they see the partners appear to have a good time aged 45+.

Interestingly, the lawyers I know are also extremely well qualified, and at the top of their game. So, I can't imagine it is any rosier for those doing some OU degree. Also don't think you can even just settle for the national accident helpline sort of positions, as those are often very highly paid to only the best lawyers with years of experience.

Given the reputation of these accident claim lines, sounds like market saturation is approaching in the law field if very well qualified types are heading into that area.

Comment

Cos it is Tulip.....

I only got into IT (many eons ago) because it paid more than not....
                I can do IT (generically).... but I don't really enjoy it
                I find IT easy (generically).... ditto
                It pays me pretty well (mostly).... which is good

but the stuff I really enjoy is "people"....

When I say "I don't enjoy it" I don't mean that I don't enjoy any of it cos:
                I do enjoy technical challenges....
                I do enjoy problem solving....
                I do enjoy teaching stuff....
                I do enjoy learning stuff.....
                but once I have done that.... its all down hill...

Contracting is "better" cos at least I get to move on... meet new people... learn new stuff... solve new stuff.... teach new stuff.... but after a while its still more of the same....
                I have tried a few Plan Bs which have worked after a fashion... but in the past I have always come back to "selling old rope" cos it pays so much without too much hard work.....

Comment

Originally posted by larson View Post

Given the reputation of these accident claim lines, sounds like market saturation is approaching in the law field if very well qualified types are heading into that area.
                  Law is already and has been saturated in the different areas of the UK for years.

There are more people who do law degrees, law conversion courses and barrister training courses than there are jobs for these people in the various parts of the UK.

However there are also jobs that will exist in the future that don't exist now where having a qualification in something could help you get into that role before specific education/degree courses come into existence.

Though at the moment the IT and law field is completely covered in terms of patents, intellectual property, contracts and data protection.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Law is very tricky right now. The Law Society themselves say that a legal career may be too risky.

As a contractor finding £25K for your course fees should be no problem. But your chances of finding a training contract are almost zero.

Oh and Bob is in there too. As well as Sheila.
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                    X