• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tempted to tell them to bog off…

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tempted to tell them to bog off…

Been in my present contract for three years. Job advertised as a permie role, I applied and was turned down along with the others who had been interviewed etc. Role readvertised again…

I have been told that I will get another renewal until end of May, this is to give them time to find a new person and also for some hand-over period.

I feel a bit peeved about the whole situation, I am good enough to be paid on contract for three years, but not be offered the full time job. Very tempted to clear off when my present contract ends, end of March.

Would this be madness in the current climate?

Well if you have been on a decent rate for 3+ years your warchest should be pretty healthy...
    Its not the best time to jump... but it sounds like what you really want is the permie role (you applied for it and have done it for.. well forever)... So why not just ask?

Comment

Originally posted by castoff101 View Post
      Would this be madness in the current climate?
      It depends. Can you afford to not work for a while if necessary? Personally I'd shrug my shoulders and keep working for them whilst they paid the highest rate I could get. Perhaps you should start having a hard look to see what else you can get by the end of March and let that make your decision for you.
      Loopy Loo

Comment

You're a contractor, if you like it there just keep the contract going and rake in the money and either have a whinge to them about it now, or leave it until you do eventually leave and make your feelings well known.

HR fools probably putting a stop to it.

I've seen the same happen elsewhere. I fancied going perm and applied with other contractors and I was offered the position but I went off the idea especially after they messed me around over the salary. Later the other contractors reapplied for it and were all turned down - he he he. Maybe it was my fault, they realised us contractors don't usually really want to go perm unless for other reasons (such as the current economic climate). In this situation HR basically said to the other contractors that they had changed the way they employ, they no longer care if someone has been doing the job well for x years, it doesn't necessarily make them suitable . Some organisations just have money to burn, especially government. They never did employ someone and believe to this day one of the contractors who was turned down is still kind of doing the role or similar role (some 2 years later).....when he would have happily accepted close to 25% of his contractor salary to go perm, he wanted less than I did.

I would not personally apply for a perm position at a current client again, things can get a little complicated.
        Last edited by SuperZ; 27 February 2010, 16:29.

Comment

Thank you for your replies. I believe it was HR involvement that made my manager advertise externally. I also had to take some verbal and numerical test (which I passed) and have two interviews - only to be turned down. Me bitter

I hate to mention this bit but I am 53 and I do wonder if this came into the equation.

Comment

Maybe. The world is ageist.

How would we know for sure ?

Comment

What kind of role was it?

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                What kind of role was it?
                swapping tapes

This is one of Milan's sockies

HTH
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Keep invoicing, thats the only reason you are there.

Theres no guarantee that the next gig will be any better!

PZZ

Comment

Application developer - no tapes in sight..

Yes, you are right... money is good and I can have some fun with the knowledge transfer

Comment

Working...
                    X