• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

using home address as the business address

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

using home address as the business address

How many of us do?

I've being doing so for many years now. However I do not like the recent idea that HMRC can raid your home on the grounds of an audit.

But is it worth changing the business address alone because of this?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    How many of us do?

I've being doing so for many years now. However I do not like the recent idea that HMRC can raid your home on the grounds of an audit.

Mine has been changed to that of my accountants.

I didn't want any conflicts with home insurance etc...
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

When you say "business address" you mean "registered office"? Because banks and the like will want to know a real address, and I think HMRC are clever enough to know that lots of companies use an accountants address as a registered office and would raid your home anyway.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Registered office address business address is at my accountants. Correspondence address in at home.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          When you say "business address" you mean "registered office"? Because banks and the like will want to know a real address, and I think HMRC are clever enough to know that lots of companies use an accountants address as a registered office and would raid your home anyway.
          Yep. HMRC can walk into any building they like without warrants so your home isn't safe from them.

Comment

What deters me is that the council could charge business rates on the premises, if they ever checked.

Comment

PO Box sorted
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                Yep. HMRC can walk into any building they like without warrants so your home isn't safe from them.
                This was one of the hidden (well, non-publicised) aspects of merging the Inland Revenue with Customs and Excise to create HMRC: suddenly Hector ended up with the powers of the Excise, who have historically been able to do anything they damn well please

As Mr Burns of Scotland observed, everybody loves it when The deil's awa wi' the Exciseman

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  How many of us do?

I always used the accountant's address as the registered office and a PO Box as the company address on all stationery so that my home address did not get sent out all over the place.

However, the bank would not send statements to a PO Box address but more importantly, on the VAT registration form you are required to give HMRC the address where the day-to-day running of the company takes place and they have you there should they decide they want to pay a visit.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                    What deters me is that the council could charge business rates on the premises, if they ever checked.
                    No they won't.

Not unless your business is something where you fix cars or do some sort of therapy where you have customers visiting you on your premise.

A simple home office with a desk, phone and computer and no visiting customers means you don't have to pay business rates.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X