• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there going to be a(nother) run on the Pound next week?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there going to be a(nother) run on the Pound next week?

Nice simple poll to test your collective financial genius, or equivalently your luck in predicting 50/50 events.
    Going down baby
    50.00%
    The only way is up
    20.00%
    AndyW would have more clue than me
    30.00%

I hope so from next week I'm earning Euros....
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

The strength of the Pound next week and on towards the election may not be improved by a poll out today, showing the Tories only 2 percentage points ahead.

Comment

Incidentally I received the information I ordered from First Direct about foreign currency accounts yesterday. I think I will used them, as I am an existing customer and this would save the hassle of opening up a new bank account elsewhere and needing to provide authentication required. Not sure how safe First Direct will be in the event of a major currency crash though.

They provide Euro, USD, AUD, Canadian dollar (CAD), Yen (JPY), New Zealand dollar (NZD), Norwegian krona (NOK), Swedish krona (SEK), Swiss frank (CHF) foreign currency accounts, paying a very small interest rate on some of them.

Comment

The choice of the foreign currency is a tough decision.

However, given the current doubts about the £ and the increased risk of another New Labour win, it may be prudent to have some money outside sterling.
          Last edited by Green Mango; 28 February 2010, 13:09.

Comment

This is not investment advice.

The commodity currency's are worthy of further study.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I think the markets are in a state of suspended animation at the moment, waiting for the result on the election.

In particular the ratings agencies don't want to be seen as interferring in the election by downgrading us beforehand (which would basically say Gordo was talking utter tulip) - even though the markets are currently pricing us at a AA+/AA rather than AAA anyway.

However, if a Labour victory becomes more certain, then the markets may not wait.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                In particular the ratings agencies don't want to be seen as interferring in the election by downgrading us beforehand

Comment

What's so funny. Rating agencies still have a few sizeable dents in their reputation from the credit crunch.

If they were to downgrade us now (or announce a ratings review), the Labour spin machine will unleash everything they've got against them saying that they are trying to get revenge on Labour for the mauling they have been given by politicians for failing to do their job properly in the boom (which to be fair, they did bodge up).

Whether this is true or not isn't the point. It's politics and the ratings agencies haven't got the stomach for this right now. They'll wait until after the election, so that any flak that comes their way will be the "normal" type that they deal with all the time.

And to be far, they have been dropping quite a few hints over the past 12 months, getting less subtle each time.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                    If they were to downgrade us now (or announce a ratings review), the Labour spin machine will unleash everything they've got against them saying that they are trying to get revenge on Labour for the mauling they have been given by politicians for failing to do their job properly in the boom (which to be fair, they did bodge up).
                    How many of those rating agencies are UK based?

They could not give a tulip about Nu Liebor.

The reason they don't downgrade a whole list of countries is because Western Govts (including USA) leaned on them - UK's voice in this is by far not the most powerful.

Comment

Working...
                    X