• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Potholes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potholes

Not the kind beloved of spelunkers but the wheel damaging sort on roads.

For the first time in a while I drove around Glasgow city centre and its environs today. There doesn't seem to be any 200 yards of road free from very deep potholes that preciptated driving like a maniac to avoid them, even at slow speeds.

I guess that the recent spell of very cold weather didn't help but no sign of any effort to repair them, not even the poor practice of patching with tarmac.

How widespread is this? Is this just a local problem or are cash strapped councils prioritising elsewhere?
    Me, me, me...

It is everywhere this year.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Very I gather. 1.6 million (or perhaps it was 16 million, I think the former) holes were created during the cold spell.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post

For the first time in a while I drove around Glasgow city centre and its environs today. There doesn't seem to be any 200 yards of road free from very deep potholes that preciptated driving like a maniac to avoid them, even at slow speeds.

I guess that the recent spell of very cold weather didn't help but no sign of any effort to repair them, not even the poor practice of patching with tarmac.

How widespread is this? Is this just a local problem or are cash strapped councils prioritising elsewhere?
        It's not just a Scottish problem but countrywide.

Looking forward to the inevitable rise in council tax to pay for the repairs.

Comment

Sheffield - not much road left.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post

Potholes is the reason why I run a Citroen. Invented the 50s for the bad French roads.

See Top Gear (Go straight to 5 mins into the video clip)

You need one of these
            Last edited by Paddy; 28 February 2010, 23:01. Reason: typo
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              See Top Gear (Go straight to 5 mins into the video clip) You need one of these
              What a good demonstration!

In the wife's Sovereign, if you go over a speed bump at anything more than 2 mph, you get thrown out of the sunroof.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                What a good demonstration!

In the wife's Sovereign, if you go over a speed bump at anything more than 2 mph, you get thrown out of the sunroof.
                Maybe consider disabling the ejector seat?

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                  I thought Jags were supposed to have a good ride. The only Jag I've ever ridden in and driven was an XJS which proved itself totally useless in the snow.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post

I thought Jags were supposed to have a good ride.
                    They are normally, but the large engine makes them a bit front heavy and therefore not suited to speed bumps.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X