• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interesting dilema

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting dilema

After quite a long period on the bench, I landed a contract back in January. It was only a 3 monther, rate was fine and the work was going to be interesting (potentially). The great thing was that they were willing to sponsor me for SC clearance.

I started and things have been going well, the Client co is disorganised and chaotic but the people are good to work with and I am making a difference and getting positive feedback. Work has been intense due to the nature of the project and they certainly have been getting their pound of flesh! As the 3 months ticks by I have found out that they have only budgeted for a contractor for potentially 3 more months and want to hand over the role to a permie, despite having no permie available.

In view of the above, I have carried on looking and found a new role. The commute would be better, would avoid having nights away each week but the rate is less. Generally better for the family. The great plus is that they are offering a 12 month contract. It's within the NHS which I feel would broaden my experience/CV. I am waiting for them to get back to me with final details and confirm the offer in writing.

With the NHS opportunity I am getting concerned as to whether I can put up with the NHS/public sector mentality. The improved family life and "security" of a longer contract would be great (as the war chest has taken a severe battering) but the excitement of the current role is tempting and reluctant to lose the SC clearance now I have it.

NHS experience vs SC clearance. 3months at higher rate vs 12 months at lower rate? Which would you chose? Bear in mind, neither is in writing yet.....

If your current clientco doesn't have a budget and have told you so then you've no reason to expect them to come up with an extension.

Breaking into NHS contracting seems to be quite tricky so if you've got an in it's worth looking at seriously.
    Your SC won't lapse for 12 months and on some NHS stuff clearance can be needed, it's not impossible if you ask the NHS client to take on the clearance (assuming they're ListX) that it can be maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang View Post
      NHS experience vs SC clearance. 3months at higher rate vs 12 months at lower rate? Which would you chose? Bear in mind, neither is in writing yet.....
      Take the first one that offers the contract. Don't worry about it until that happens.

With the current one, you know that there is only budget for 3 more months. So, chances of an extension are slim. The other one only has to last 3 months and 1 day, and you're better off.

SC clearance will (probably) lapse one year after you use it in an SC cleared environment. Having SC is no guarantee of getting SC work - mine is valid for 3 years more, and I've still got to reapply because the project rule is that you must have at least 5 years to run on your SC to work there.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Don't count on the NHS role not to be cancelled due to cuts.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

This belief that having SC clearance is a guarantee of getting gigs is incorrect, BTW.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            This belief that having SC clearance is a guarantee of getting gigs is incorrect, BTW.
            Absolutely true, but it's a handy thing to have if the right gig does turn up.

Comment

As mentioned earlier I do think you should take seriously the possibility that the NHS will be cutting back on the current level of IT spend. It seems very likely to me.
              Loopy Loo

Comment

The improved family life and "security" of a longer contract would be great
                This is the key line for me. The rest pales in to insignificance next to this in my book but guess it would be different of people with different circumstances.

Firstly yes there maybe cuts in the NHS blah blah blah... Please point me in the direction of an industry/role that isn't in a similar situation. You are just as safe here as anywhere in my opinion. The rest of the world is falling appart as well not just the NHS.

Once your in your in with the NHS, if you have previous experience just as many doors open as with SC, if not more and NHS do use SC so not impossible to have it transfered.

NHS might be boring and a tad frustrating but family life and security are much more important that a couple of boring months.

In the past I have stayed at shorter interesting one and forgone the longer and also vice versa where I turned down a longer one in favour of a fun client. IMO this is a no brainer. 1 year isnt going to kill you, the interesting jobs will always be out there and hopefull when you pop out of the NHS the market will be much more boyant and fun..

HTH
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

After quite a long period on the bench, I landed a contract back in January. It was only a 3 monther, rate was fine and the work was going to be interesting (potentially). The great thing was that they were willing to sponsor me for SC clearance.

I started and things have been going well, the Client co is disorganised and chaotic but the people are good to work with and I am making a difference and getting positive feedback. Work has been intense due to the nature of the project and they certainly have been getting their pound of flesh! As the 3 months ticks by I have found out that they have only budgeted for a contractor for potentially 3 more months and want to hand over the role to a permie, despite having no permie available.

In view of the above, I have carried on looking and found a new role. The commute would be better, would avoid having nights away each week but the rate is less. Generally better for the family. The great plus is that they are offering a 12 month contract. It's within the NHS which I feel would broaden my experience/CV. I am waiting for them to get back to me with final details and confirm the offer in writing.

With the NHS opportunity I am getting concerned as to whether I can put up with the NHS/public sector mentality. The improved family life and "security" of a longer contract would be great (as the war chest has taken a severe battering) but the excitement of the current role is tempting and reluctant to lose the SC clearance now I have it.

Depends whether you see yourself as a rate chaser or quality of life is more important.

TBH, a 12 month contract is better than a 3 monther even if the rate is less. SC is good to have but, can you be certain you'll get another SC role in 12 months?

I know which I'd choose.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Please explain how this is interesting?

Comment

Working...
                    X